• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New tastes for a new year

Anna N

So in this topic we discuss the new tastes we discovered in 2009. What new tastes do you plan to try in 2010? Are there ingredients you are dying to get your hands on? Let's keep the discussion to attainable goals within each of our pocket books, availabilities etc. No airy-fairy dreamscapes. And let's report back how successful we are in procuring and using our listed ingredients.

I want to try black garlic, salt-preserved anchovies and capers, and artichokes. Of these I already have some black garlic given to me by a friend which I need to try. The others will be on my list to procure and try as the year goes on.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My first thought was - gotta try something with that black garlic. Docsconz said he tried it - need hints for what to put it in.

Also need to take the nocino I made and see if I can make a distinctive chocolate center with it.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

The salt-cured anchovies will be a revelation.

I'm hoping to branch out into cooking more offal, which I've never really prepared but have enjoyed at restaurants consistently. I just got my first bar of belacan (trasi), so I'm looking forward to figuring that out, too.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

The revived Boker's Bitters. I know I'm late to that particular party, but I just haven't had a chance to play with them yet. And this really really will be the year in which I find consistent sources of fresh galangal and curry leaves.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

I've never worked with sea urchin, that's something I'd like to try. Maybe this is the year I make tripe. And I want to get better at using grains.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

This is a good year for more classic and historic sauces, I think. There are so many of them, and I seem to have built up enough of a library of stocks in the freezer that I could actually make a good number of them without too much additional effort, replenishing stocks along the way.

There's still always something, though. Today I found myself making "mushroom essence" (broth steeped with mushrooms and a little lemon juice), which appears with surprising frequency in The Epicurean, and Escoffier mentions "mushroom liquor" without exactly saying what it is (or at least not anywhere that appears in the index). How is it that we manage without mushroom essence today, when Ranhofer added it to all kinds of savory things?

I figure there's a whole array of lost and forgotten flavors out there worth rediscovering.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

I am planning on focusing my brewing for the next year on Belgian Beers. At the top of my list are Saisons, Golden Ale, and Wit bier.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I spent the year chasing and eating octopus in various Spanish and Greek restaurants in NYC, as well as in Italy during my first trip there.

This year, I want to cook it myself.

Also, this is my first post here. Hello.

A Middle Eastern/Halal market opened in my town, so I'm going to work my way through the aisles trying new flavors!

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

New holiday acquisitions for my pantry that beg to be used: Ras el hanout and long pepper.

As part of my new year resolutions, I'm trying one new thing each month. This month was quinoa. Surprisingly easy, nutritious and a great healthier substitute for couscous.

Cheers!

Hi. I've started work my way through the huge produce department of an international market in the nearest city, great fun as I've never cooked with 3/4 of what's there. It's the better part of an hour away from our rural South home, but definitely worth the trip as jalapenos and ginger are about as suspiciously "exotic" as our local market gets. My next trip will bring home tamarind and enoki mushrooms. I have a recipe waiting. :)

I WILL cook a live lobster this year.

Me too, I want to make Lobster risotto after I read that was one of your Recipe challenges.

Any idea where to get the 5 lobster shells to make the stock ?

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Got it! Kept wondering what I wanted to try in 2010. And then Simonne posted her wonderful Durian recipe and I remembered that more than anything I wanted to taste a Durian.

We can get only frozen puree here...that's when our little Asian store gets it in...but that's my goal for the year!

DURIAN...now if I could only smell one, just to have done it. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My goal isn't a particular ingredient -- I'm planning to spend time at the area's ethnic markets finding new things and trying them out. Don't know what I'll find yet, but looking forward to getting into it.

Going to try making cheeses other than simple farmers...

And would like to making more types of Chinese dumplings...I really only make steamed buns from scratch..

Biryani at home too. We now have take-away shops and everyone loves it.... Sadly all the Indian students I work with are veggies..

Preserved Lemons. This should probably be on my recipes list. Been dying to try these for ages.

Now that I've got homemade vanilla extract under my belt (and is that fabulous!), I need to looking into other similar types of things, like limoncello, and various infusions. Also want to do more pickles. And mincemeat!

More fish. Salt cod, for example. And fresh sardines. And mackerel.

Kayb -- You definitely need a copy of Jasper White's "Lobster at Home." Highly recommended! It's so worth making a batch of Rich Lobster Stock and freezing it. Then you can have Lobster Risotto, or any seafood risotto, or pasta, any time you want. I make a batch twice a year, once in the winter and once in the summer, and we're happy all year long.

First of all, welcome mig! Glad to have you here.

The two things I want to try this year are truffles and foi gras. Nobody around me has ever tried either, and most of my friends/family doesn't want to try them :shock: But they are definitely on my list for this year. I WILL get around to it, I will, I will..

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".