• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago CSA Suggestions

Can anyone recommend a CSA that delivers or has a pick up location near Wicker Park/Bucktown?

I've been doing Homegrown Wisconsin, but they moved the pick up location for next summer on me, so I wanted to see what the other options are out there.

Year round, seasonal, whatever. Where are you getting your veggies, etc?

We used Homegrown/Simply WI in 2009 but are going with Genesis Growers in 2010. Admittedly, it was a tough year weather-wise, but I wasn't thrilled with our '09 CSA experience. Otoh, what I had from Genesis in restaurants, friends' houses and other venues in 2009 was consistently the best of the year. That said, I'll miss the cheese share from Homegrown WI, which Genesis doesn't offer. I'm not sure if they offer a drop point near Wicker Park/Bucktown.

This guide at The Local Beet.com, while from 2009, is filled with great information and links that should still be quite useful. I checked around their site but don't know if a 2010 guide has been posted yet. I couldn't find it.

I hope that helps, though,

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com