• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asian Food in Milwaukee

Hi there - I've been reading through posts re: to Milwaukee. A couple of members have said there's no real great sushi yet in Milwaukee, but what about other Asian food? I don't see much mention of Korean, Vietnamese, Indian, or Chinese. Does anyone know of good Asian food action in Milwaukee? Anything to recommend or encourage? I'm from Vancouver so am treated to pretty fantastic Asian food of all kinds, but I'm going to be in Milwaukee in a few weeks and am always looking for good, interesting new or standard takes on good stuff. Thanks.

Hi there - I've been reading through posts re: to Milwaukee. A couple of members have said there's no real great sushi yet in Milwaukee, but what about other Asian food? I don't see much mention of Korean, Vietnamese, Indian, or Chinese. Does anyone know of good Asian food action in Milwaukee? Anything to recommend or encourage? I'm from Vancouver so am treated to pretty fantastic Asian food of all kinds, but I'm going to be in Milwaukee in a few weeks and am always looking for good, interesting new or standard takes on good stuff. Thanks.

Sadly, I don't believe there's anything close to the quality of sushi you can get in Vancouver anywhere in the Midwest.

A good friend who recently moved to Milwaukee from Vancouver swears by Phan's Garden (1923 W National) for phở, not sure about the rest of their menu. Fortune Restaurant on Hwy 100/Oklahoma is probably the best Cantonese I've had in the Midwest...particularly fond of the squid with chili in spicy salt, eggplant and salted fish casserole, and shrimp with honey walnuts. The place looks like a dump, and it also serves chow mein to locals, but trust me.

There are a couple mediocre Mongolian BBQ places in Milwaukee, but I don't know of a good Korean place. Indian seems to be hit or miss.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

If you're looking for some new/interesting interpretations of Asian Cuisine, Umami Moto is the way to go. Here is their website which should contain all of the pertinent information that you may need - http://www.umamimoto.com/.

I believe that UM is your best bet for some fun/exciting Asian fare. And its conveniently located right downtown, too.

Cheers.

Trevor Williams.

eGullet Ethics Signatory

• 3 weeks later...

We live in SE Wisconsin about 40 miles from downtown Milwaukee and 70 miles from Chicago downtown. I find that invariably the Milwaukee Asian restaurants substitute less expensive ingrediants and are not as good as a Chicago counterpart. So for anything Asian from Sushi to Dim Sum, we head to Chicago. Now I realize that dosen't help you but it may cushion the expectations you may have.-Dick