• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked Salmon

Darienne

I have to say I don't really like smoked salmon but to cook it up with Duck Eggs softly scrambled and some leeks it is truly amazingly good. I usually cook the thinly sliced leeks in a little butter and oil then add the scrambled eggs and cook softly then after a minute or two add the crumbled smoked salmon. I usually use a little Maldon salt and a very little bit of fresh ground pepper. My SO really likes a little bit of hot sauce on this but I tend to skip that. You can spice it up even more with a little creme fraiche.

Hi Darienne,

Let me add another voice to the chorus praising the use of lox in a creamy pasta sauce. You might want to throw in a few capers as well, and saute up some onions/shallots to start out with. The capers especially, if you like them, play very well with the smoked salmon.

Another thing I've used lox for is a pizza topping. Our boy Wolfgang Puck made this famous as his "Oscar Dinner" pizza back in the day. I actually made it out of one of my Jacques Pepin "Fast Food" cookbooks, but his is essentially the same recipe as Wolfie's. Just Google "Wolfgang Puck Salmon Pizza" and you should find the recipe. Of course, it goes on *after* the 'za comes out of the oven, so don't know how you could convince Hubby-Bubby it was cooked.....maybe from the residual heat...yeah, THAT's the ticket. :cool:

If you don't do your own crusts, a Boboli-type base works just spiffy.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

... it was reduced by 75% for some unknown reason...

Did you check the expiration date?

It is a Sobey product which means a reputable brand in Canada, but it has no expiration date on it. Our Canadian laws lag far behind your American ones and we have all kinds of exceptions to every rule you have to live with.

It was being sold off because the holidays were over and presumably no one is entertaining after NYE for a while....like buying Christmas wrapping paper in January as the stores try to clear the shelves.

I guess. :huh:

The pizza topping sounds good too.Another way to 'cook' the fish. :raz:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Here is the smoked salmon mousse recipe. I have also made it without the spinach, and just mixed everything up together. It's very tasty.

Smoked Salmon Mousse

one envelope unflavoured gelatin

1/2 cup cold water

1 10oz. package frozen spinach, thawed

8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened

1 cup whipping cream, whipped

1/2 cup our cream or plain yougurt

1/4 cup fresh dill

1/2 pound smoked salmon

2 T lemon juicce

1 t paprika

1/2 t pepper

In a small glass measure, sprinkle gelatin over cold water. Let stand 5 minutes to soften. Microwave at High for 1 minute or until dissolved.

Squeeze as much moisture as possible out of the spinach.

In food processor, blend cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Add smoked salmon and dill, process until coarsely chopped. Add lemon juice, paprika, pepper and dissolved gelatin. Process for a few seconds until mixed. Add whipped cream, blend using on-off turns until mixture is just smooth.

Remove all but 1 cup of mixture from processor and set aside. To the remaining mixture, add spinach and process until smooth.

Divide reserved smoked salmon mixture in two. Evenly spread half of reserved mixture in an oiled 6 cup ring mold or small loaf pan, lined with plastic wrap. Evenly spread with the spinach mixture for the middle layer, then top with remaining smoked salmon mixture. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 3 hours or overnight.

To unmold, loosen edges with a knife and dip quickly in hot water and unmold on a serving platter. Garnish with lemon slices and dill sprigs.

Makes 12 - 16 servings.

Sounds good. Make sure the spinach is in...and maybe leave the dill out. Dill is not a family favorite.

Thanks again.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.