• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Nick Malgieri Recipes

Lindacakes

I realized that several of my all time favorite recipes are Nick Malgieri's -- I regularly crave his Browned Butter Hazelnut Financier, Date Walnut Bread, and Supernatural Brownies.

Curious to know if others have a favorite recipe and greedy to save the time of discovering them by myself.

What do you love?

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I know you like Nick Malgieri recipes, because if you search his name, there are many references to his recipes here . . .

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Although I do have a couple of his books, most of my favourite recipes of his come from class. He is the Director of the Baking Program at ICE Institute. His Challah, Swiss Butter Braid and brownies are some of my favourites. We did a fruit tart with creme pastierre in class that I still make in the summer as well.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Cookies Unlimited is my go to cookie book. I love the old-fashioned Dutch molasses cookies, the sables (including the checkerboard), the supernatural brownies and the cat's tongues.

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

i don't refer to his books for much, but adore the entire chapter of yeast cakes in 'how to bake' - barm brack, and babas, and a lovely fluffy pannetone, which i sometimes use as a default recipe for any european yeasted cakes - like this bolo rei, a portuguese epiphany cake (i got a little carried away with the embellishment):

DSC00791.JPG