• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leeds & Anthony's

My dislike of Leeds is both long standing and deeply held. It started with a foul by Jack Charlton on the Arsenal goalkeeper during the 1970 League Cup Final. Events since that date have largely exacerbated matters. Thus I was delighted when Peter Ridsdale and others ruined the football club and it was twice relegated . No more tedious treks to Elland Road for me - hooray.

But circumstances change and I find myself spending regular weekends in Leeds. Having read glowing reviews of Anthonys here and elsewhere, and curious as to why Michelin consistently fail to award a *, I take myself there to see what the fuss is all about. I agree with the vast majority who think the place to be excellent. I am now amongst the many who are mystified by Michelin's stance. My limited criticisms are that the bar area is a bit of a mess and some of the "art" on the dining room walls would best be utilised as the lining for a skip. Neither of those points are, of course, anywhere near a reason to withhold a *.

So it must be something else: it cannot be the food or service. Perhaps it is some residual football based prejudice such as mine. I'm mindful of the fact that Leeds supporters caused a great deal of trouble in Paris at the time of the 1975 European Cup Final. Is it possible that Michelin continue to bear a grudge because of that?

And whilst I have your attention, is there anywhere else good in Leeds? I gained the impression from somewhere that 3 Yorke Place was decent but was severely disappointed by dinner there. I'm aware that Salvo's is well regarded but I'm wary of places that do not take reservations - tis a bit cold for queueing at the moment.

And of course, it did used to have a star in Pool Court, during Ridsdale's glory years. So, perhaps the prejudice is the other way, and the Inspector resents the way Ridders was forced from power?

My own pet theory is a prejudice against underground restuarants. But someone pointed out that, as a theory, its seriously flawed.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

a prejudice against underground restuarants.

I like to think of myself as a bloke without prejudice. But I make an exception for underground restaurants. I find them claustrophobic and generally unpleasant spaces in which to eat - and offer you Manchester's Abode by way of evidence.

John Hartley

• 1 year later...

did it get a refurb and other interesting things in the end? (was planning to eat in huddersfield but seeing as the train's only 20 minutes...) Last time I went to A's was a few years ago, and it was good but not as impressive as a couple of visits a few years before that -- I wondered at the time if focus had become at all diluted with other ventures, so keen to hear of special attention it's received in 2010.

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

a prejudice against underground restuarants.

I like to think of myself as a bloke without prejudice. But I make an exception for underground restaurants. I find them claustrophobic and generally unpleasant spaces in which to eat - and offer you Manchester's Abode by way of evidence.

Well Hakkasan restaurant is umderground and it did well for *. Even with it's agressive table turning (i.e. we seat you 20 mins late wnen you were on tiome but you still must leave 1:40mins later as your reservation was up). Good food but wil never eat there again.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

did it get a refurb and other interesting things in the end? (was planning to eat in huddersfield but seeing as the train's only 20 minutes...) Last time I went to A's was a few years ago, and it was good but not as impressive as a couple of visits a few years before that -- I wondered at the time if focus had become at all diluted with other ventures, so keen to hear of special attention it's received in 2010.

I'm working in London so don't get to go as frequently as i once did, i don't think it has been refurbed, i had a very good 'last' meal there just under a year ago before i started work, was planning to go over xmas but they were closed.

you don't win friends with salad