• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Diego Dim Sum for lunch

jeroen_kb

General menu - Jasmine is popular (Convoy St). For seafood focus, Emerald is popular (further south on Convoey St).

There are a few small places, names escape me that might be considered better.

And now that I've put the biggies out there, you should get plenty of posts explaining what I missed! :smile: Enjoy!

editted to fix crooked smiley

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

San Diego isn't exactly a Dim Sum city.

Emeraldis one of the best.

Pearl Chinese Restaurant in Rancho Bernardo gets a lot of thumbs up for it's Dim Sum.

China Max does Dim Sum that gets generally good reviews.

Most Asian restaurants are located on Convoy St. in the Kearny Mesa neighborhood of town. You could do a lot worse than to just drive down it and pick something that looks good to you. one of the best Chinese places in town is Ba Ren It's a little bit west of Convoy and off the beaten path, but worth seeking out.

Come to San Diego for the beer - great craft brewing scene - , come to San Diego for the 30th St. dining corridor in North Park, come to San Diego for the uni or the carne asada burritos, but coming to San Diego for Dim Sum might not be the wisest choice

Thanks for the replies. We'll be doing the other mentioned stuff as well. it's just that where I'm from you don't have the chinese restaurants with the carts going around where you just keek on pointing out what you want. And I always wanted to try that.

Thanks for the replies. We'll be doing the other mentioned stuff as well. it's just that where I'm from you don't have the chinese restaurants with the carts going around where you just keek on pointing out what you want. And I always wanted to try that.

Then Emerald is your best bet

• 1 month later...

..... Come to San Diego for the beer - great craft brewing scene - , come to San Diego for the 30th St. dining corridor in North Park, come to San Diego for the uni or the carne asada burritos, but coming to San Diego for Dim Sum might not be the wisest choice

:laugh: It was the case 30 years ago. When I used to live in SD we drove to China Town Los Angeles to have dim sum. Though I haven't tried, hopefully restaurants along Convoy would be "good enough"?

Ba Ren has fairly good Sichuan food (just don't order the "beer duck" LOL). No Cantonese dim sum though.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"