• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2010 Call to Arms

nickloman

I propose a new manifesto for 2010. Will you join me?

In 2010 I will, support my local restaurant who may be going through difficult times.

In 2010 I will, offer constructive feedback directly to the owner when I encounter crap food, crap service or just general crapness. And pledge not to return if those complaints are not accepted in the spirit they are intended. But I will keep coming back if criticism is taken on board and addressed, knowing that perfection is not obtainable.

In 2010 I will, try to avoid chain restaurants which are contributing to the moribund state of dining in this country.

In 2010 I will, not follow the herd and try and book the same restaurant as everyone else after a review comes out.

In 2010 I will, try and eat out more on slow weekdays, knowing I will get better service and food than on a Saturday night.

In 2010 I will, remember not to order the tasting wine course knowing it's usually hateful.

In 2010 I will, stop being a slave to Michelin and all the other guides, trusting my own judgement first and foremost (and that of other eGulleteers)

Edited by nickloman (log)

Yes, with a caveat.

I will not discount any available information, whether from guides, review sites, published reviews,or discussion boards - but I will continue to regard it as just another source of information.

And I'll add one:

In 2010, I will eat more lunches knowing I can stretch the contents of my hard pressed wallet further.

John Hartley

Well, I'm not all that keen on manifestos, but you maek some good points.

Yes, I will support my "local" restaurants going through hard times. In my case, local includes within a 100-mile radius, as we have two tolerable restaurants within 5 miles of my house. TWO. I will enthusiastically NOT support the many awful local restaurants in my neighborhood.

I will complain (politely) to the owner about a pointedly bad experience, and if I am not satisfied with the response, I won't return.

I will do my best to not eat at chains and fast food mills.

I will, however, eat at a new restaurant anytime I feel like it, just because I'm pleased to do so.

I will eat out when it's convenient for me to do so, whatever night it happens to be.

I will NOT avoid the wine tasting menu at, say, Le Bernardin, because to do so would be masochistically depriving myself of a wonderful experience. I will, however, avoid wine tasting menus (and tasting menus in general) unless I have very good reason to blow a month's pay.

I will use any and all information except Zagat available to choose my dining experiences.

I will feel free to change my mind about any of the points above at any time, depending upon my mood of the moment.

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child