• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Veuve Clicquot Rose

budrichard

I pick up the odd bottle of Rose Champagne or Sparkling Wine. The surcharge for adding red wine to the cuvee is just too much to bear for casual drinking.

For New Years I opened a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Rose.

Dry would be an understatement, drier than Taittinger Blanc de Blanc of which we have had many vintages and drier than some Ultra Bruts. Since I don't have much experience with this wine, i wonder if any other tasters have noticed how dry and austere this wine is? Maybe the dosage got missed?-Dick

Vintage or non-vintage?

The vintage rose is considered a top shelf champagne without qualification.

The non-vintage rose does tend to vary a bit, but, it is known traditionally as a very dry champagne. Other makers allow their rose products to be a bit sweet, something that has increased since the white zin craze in America of the 1980's created a market for sweeter, fruitier rose wines.

I have been drinking these wines, both the vintage and non-vintage, since 1979. (served the vintage at my wedding) To the best of my recollection, the vintage has had minor variations but been consistently excellent. The non-vintage has seen some ups and downs, zigs and zags in the road, as it were.

Perhaps you just got a bad bottle, perhaps one where volatile acidity had started to develop. I would say please try it again.