• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caramel Coloring

RobertCollins

I have a recipe for pickled onions which calls for caramel coloring. The ingredient lists on every thing from Coke to Steak Sauce lists 'Caramel Coloring'. I wouldn't be surprised to find it in shoe polish.

What is it and where can it be bought in something less that the Exxon Valdez like quantities? Is it something I can make?

Robert

Seattle

add some water (carefully!

Thanks for the speedy response.

I've not made candy so that seems to me that I would be throwing water into some superheated liquid carbon mass that would go boom. So could you tell me how, please. Another thought, how hot is that melted sugar?

Robert

Seattle

Like judiu says - hot as napalm. You can cool the hot carbonaceous mass then add boiling water, and heat until it dissolves.

The proportions from my pumpernickel colour recipe are 3 tbsp sugar, cooked with 1 tbsp water - deglazed with 1/4 cup boiling water.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I got a sample for a project I'm working on (at work) from Rene Rivet Inc.. which is the Canadian distributor for DD Williamson. I don't know if they will sample to residential or not but it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm still in the testing stages with my project so I haven't got to the price and package size point with the rep yet but I think making your own or the king arthur suggestion are probably your best bets for what you're doing. The only potential problem with cooking your own really dark syrup that I can think of is that it could add a bitterness that you may or may not be happy about depending how much you use but if it's Kerry tested and approved I'd say you're safe with it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

You can find it in the grocery store, spice aisle.... Kitchen Bouquet. Although it claims "Kitchen Bouquet is a unique blend of vegetables, herbs and spices, that adds flavor and rich color to soups, stews, sauces and gravies", I find the flavor it adds is mostly psychological from seeing browner gravy.

Edited by Linda Rose (log)

Not sure if you them near you, but Smart and Final sells caramel coloring for a good price. If you don't have one near you, try a restaurant or baking supply. If you want to pay a huge premium, Kitchen Bouquet is essentially caramel coloring.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Thank you all for the help. I'll have to make it at least once, then....

I was thinking about this recipe that Kerry gave and wonder, isn't that going to produce something like thickened Dark Karo Syrup?

edit: spelling ability does not correlate with intelligence, I hope I haven't lost two times.

Edited by RobertCollins (log)

Robert

Seattle

Thank you all for the help. I'll have to make it at least once, then....

I was thinking about this recipe that Kerry gave and wonder, isn't that going to produce something like thickened Dark Karo Syrup?

edit: spelling ability does not correlate with intelligence, I hope I haven't lost two times.

It's not sweet at all, and not really all that thick.

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading NOLA site by Danno and he made reference to "Steens Pure Cane Syrup". In looking at that I read their product descriptions and looked at Molasses.

Then I started wondering -hope this isn't too far off subject- If molasses is really just farther or further [not sure which] cooked cane syrup, isn't that almost caramel? Although I think of Molasses as sweetner, is it really? Does the extra heat kill the sweetness as Kerry Beal implies above?

These sugars really have me lost. Is there a good reference that anyone can recommend? I can tell, I will never be a candy maker.

Robert

Seattle