• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things you'd be crazy not to make yourself

agray

soup.

I'm a big fan of home-made soup, too, but there was one period when I lived in London when I often bought ready made soup in a tetrapak from the Covent Garden Soup company. Those were excellent soups.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I do buy canned soups because we're not really soup people and when we do eat soup, we don't eat much so a whole pot-full would definitely be a waste.

Home-made tomato sauce is definitely a must. It really doesn't require any effort and I just watched this programme on TV yesterday- Jamie Oliver's 1 (yes, ONE)-minute sauce so it doesn't always have to take lots of time (Italian old man I know often leaves his sauce on the stove for about 2 hours. Of course it tastes gorgeous but I can understand why one wouldn't make it).

Something else I try not to buy is Asian stir-fry sauces. It just lacks the complexity and I'd rather not eat it than to eat the horrid sauces available at the western supermarkets (the Lee Kum Kee ones are acceptable though).

Nyonya in The Netherlands

My Blog- Deliciously Lekker

I make my own pizza because it's my husbands very favorite food and the *only* other pizza alternative in my small town is Dominos. Not delicious or nutritious and highly suspicious.

I also make all of our baked goods- breads, rolls, cakes, pies, cookies etc. Sometimes I'll buy a loaf of (mediocre) sourdough because I haven't started a sourdough starter. The local Safeway bakery provides insubstantial tomfoolery but no real baked goods.

Seriously, when I moved from the food nirvana (Japanese! Indian! Ethiopian!) that the city offered to a rinky-dink town that specializes in fast food and a greasy diner breakfast...part of me died but then I revived myself by learning how to cook from scratch. Most but not all of my own product seems to be better than store bought and I'm good with that ratio.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks