• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating in Colombia

I am going on a trip to Colombia in about a week - will be in Bogota, Villa de Leyva, Cartagena, Santa Marta, Parque Tayrona, Medellin and Manizales. Would definitely appreciate suggestions on places to eat. Maybe one or two fancy places, but mostly local, authentic eating experiences. I speak Spanish fluently so out of the ordinary places are more than welcome. Thank you!

I asked a Colombian friend of mine for advice. Here is her reply:

Hey,

Colombian ppl rarely eat in typical Colombian places, so most of my suggestions are more fusion Colombian or Latino. Also, many of them are kind of pricey hence the $ next to the ones.

Bogota:

Dial 113 in Bogota to get addresses for all of these:

Andres Carne de Res Chia: make sure to get arepa de choclo, chicharrones and Lomo al trapo

($$)Leo Cocina y Cava - Colombian/Caribbean Food (really good)

($)La Brasserie - French food

($)DiLucca - Italian

($$)Balsac - French food

($$)Rafael - Peruvian (good)

Central - Ceviches

($$$)Salinas - Spanish

($$$)Criterion - Good breakfast

El Club Colombia

Diana Garcia - Only lunch, really good Northern Colombia Food

Cartagena:

La Vittrola

816 - Colombian fusion