• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Happy 250th Anniversary, Guiness

jmfangio

Hi folks,

I spend most of time here in the Spirits and Cocktails forum, but I'm popping up here to remind you, in case you didn't already know, that today is the 250th anniversary of the Guinness brewery. On this day in 1759, Arthur Guinness signed a 9,000 year lease on the brewery site.

So, instead of popping champagne this New Year's Eve, perhaps a Guinness, or even a Black Velvet?

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

Too bad one of the plants burned down yesterday.

It was described as a badly damaged, unoccupied storage building (one of many on the vast St. James Gate brewery site) that held empty containers and machinery, with no affect on the brewing operations or the Guinness tourist center, in the reports I read.