• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Poultry Shears

Richard Kilgore

A friend asked me for recommendations for poultry shears for use on game birds as well as chicken. I think he will not be pleased over the long haul with anything much less than something like the heavy duty Wustof stainless steel model that runs about $70. Does anyone have any alternative shears to recommend? Any ones to avoid?

I was going to make a similar case for these pull-apart Chicago Cutlery shears, which I got on supersale at the local hardware store and have used almost daily for a decade. I had a pair of classic bird's beak poultry shears at the time, too, but these do everything those do and more; in particular, they do a much better job with finer items (they can cut paper), and the classic ones failed consistently at skin. They're very easy to touch up with the sharpener too.

I'm not impugning the Wusthofs, mind you -- they may be great. But unless your friend is mightily brand-conscious, I think that there are as-good options out there for far less. Hell, get two: when you're breaking down poultry, it's often nice to have a clean pair for all of these other useful tasks.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I'm another fan of the Messermeisters -- the angle of the handle is easy on the wrist. They're definitely right-handed, though, and as far as I know the company doesn't make a left-handed version.

Another hearty vote for the Messermeister. Mine's been in nearly daily use for over 10 years and still going strong. Very comfortable in the hand (a small right hand) and handles cutting through even the thicker bones in chickens and ducks if needed. It might take a few times to figure out the "put-back-together" of the take-apart halves, but it's now completely naturally -- very very easy and quick to clean well.

I've never used the Wustoff -- looks very sleek -- so can't really compare. But I definitely don't think it's necessary to spend that much money.

Thy Tran

Wandering Spoon

I have had a pair of the Wusthof for about 6 years or so. I also shoot and process wild game from doves to wild turkeys. Doves can be done by hand but get a big Gobbler or Canada goose and then even Wusthof will not do the job, only a cleaver! Ducks and some wild pheasant can be very tough at the joints and I don't think the average shears sold for the home consumer can do the job. The Wusthof are superb performers and there is nothing better on the matket, they crunch through the average chicken like cardboard.-Dick

I've used my Zwilling kitchen shears for many years and they work just fine. Recently I bought the OXO poultry shears as they were on sale and they work very well too. I'd never spend $70 on such a thing, but I also don't cut chicken every day.

To debone a chicken before cooking I use my butcher knive and cleaver. After cooking either the shears and the knife or often just the knife alone. Cut legs and wings off and then slice the breast meat off. Rest goes into the stock pot.

I'll actually do that a couple hours from now :-)

I don't know if you really need dedicated poultry shears, unless you cut a lot. A good set of kitchen shears will do everything and then some. My OXO were more of a "I'm in the kitchen store and want to buy something since I walked all the way here and they're on sale" Not really anything I'd consider essential though. I just like cuttlery.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 2 weeks later...

I'm another vote for the Messermeister take-apart shears. Sharp. Light yet gives plenty of leverage to cut out the backbone of chickens. Take-apart facilitates cleaning and makes it fit into my over-stuffed knife bag. The bottle opener feature, however, doesn't work so well--but works in a pinch.

Edited by ericthered (log)