• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best cocktails of the decade

Shalmanese

Difford's Guide just released a list of 30 of the best cocktails invented since 2000, featuring several of the ones mentioned so far in this thread, and a few no one's mentioned.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Here is the list. I've added a few links for recipes in addition to the ones that were already provided.

1 Art of Choke by Kyle Davidson, The Violet Hour, Chicago.

2 Benton's Old Fashioned (2008) by Don Lee at PDT.

3 Bloomsbury Fizz by Giuseppe Santamaria

4 Chartreuse Swizzle by Marco Dionysos at Tres Agaves, San Francisco.

5 Christmas Pudding Martini by Josh Powell for Brewhouse, Cardiff.

6 Death Flip by Chris Hysted at Melbourne's Black Pearl.

7 Dopo Cena by Adrian Gomes, 10 Dollar Shake, Aberdeen, Scotland.

8 Earl Grey Mar-TEA-ni (2000) by Audrey Saunders at Bemelmans Bar at the Carlyle, New York City.

9 French Maid -Jim Meehan from PDT, New York.

10 Garden, Grain & Grape Mal Spence, Blythswood Square Hotel.

11 Irish Mermaid by Max La Rocca at Ohla Boutique Bar-Barcelona.

12 Gin Gin Mule (2004) by Audrey Saunders, New York City, USA.

13 Gingerbread Man (2006) by Simon Gilbert in 1812 bar, Bournemouth.

14 Green Park by Erik Lorincz at American Bar, The Savoy, London.

15 Green Basil Smash (2008) by Joerg Meyer, Le Lion, Bar de Paris

16 Gunshop Fizz by Kirk Estopinal and Maksym Pazuniak from Cure, New Orleans.

17 Kiss the Skye by Esther Medina Cuesta, Roux at Parliament Square, London.

18 Maid in Cuba by Tom Walker for Bacardi Legacy Competition, 2013.

19 Malecon by Erik Lorincz, from American Bar, The Savoy, London

20 Mulata Daisy (2008) by Ago Perrone at The Connaught, London, England. This drink won the 2009 Bacardi Legacy Final.

21 Nuclear Daiquiri (2005) by Gregor de Gruyther at LAB bar, London, England.

22 Oaxaca Old Fashioned (2007) by Philip Ward at Death & Co., New York City, USA

23 Penicillin (2005) by Sam Ross at Milk & Honey, New York City, USA.

24 Perfect Host by Nelson Bernardes from Good Godfrey's Bar at The Waldorf Hilton Hotel.

25 Pop It by Lukas Motejzik for Bacardi Legacy 2012

26 Rapscallion by Adeline Shepard & Craig Harper, Ruby, Copenhagen.

27 Shaky Pete's Ginger brew by Pete Jeary (aka Shaky Pete), head bartender at the Hawksmoor Seven Dials.

28 Spiced Symphony

29 Trinidad Sour by Giuseppe Gonzalez

30 Two-One-Two (212) (2008) by Willy Shine at Contemporary Cocktails Inc. in New York City.

• Like 2

Thank you FrogPrincesse. Some interesting choices. I'm a fan of the refreshing, flavorful 212, but I'm not sure I would have otherwise considered it for a list like this one. I wonder what the Spiced Symphony is...

ETA: Bacardi contests seem to be a big deal in Europe. I may be Puerto Rican, but I find it hard to believe that so many of the decade's best cocktails contain some amount of Bacardi rum.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Thank you FrogPrincesse. Some interesting choices. I'm a fan of the refreshing, flavorful 212, but I'm not sure I would have otherwise considered it for a list like this one. I wonder what the Spiced Symphony is...

No idea about the Spiced Symphony, and I don't feel too sad not having found the recipe for the Christmas Pudding Martini. I am only familiar with about a third of the list. I realize that I am much more familiar with the latest American creations than what is going on in Europe.

No idea about the Spiced Symphony, and I don't feel too sad not having found the recipe for the Christmas Pudding Martini. I am only familiar with about a third of the list. I realize that I am much more familiar with the latest American creations than what is going on in Europe.

Me too. And with due respect to the many excellent European bartenders making inventive and delicious drinks (including the ones who post in this forum), I find myself more drawn to the American entries in this list.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

ETA: Bacardi contests seem to be a big deal in Europe. I may be Puerto Rican, but I find it hard to believe that so many of the decade's best cocktails contain some amount of Bacardi rum.

Maybe if you substitute Cuban rum :cool:

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

No one's mentioned it yet, but I think Julie Reiner's Gin Blossom deserves a place:

by Julie Reiner, Clover Club, Brooklyn, NY.
1 1/2 oz Gin, Plymouth
3/4 oz Dry apricot brandy
3/4 oz Bianco Vermouth, Martini & Rossi
2 ds Orange bitters
Stir, strain, up, lemon twist.
--
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community
Also one of the best names in drinks.
  • Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

No one's mentioned it yet, but I think Julie Reiner's Gin Blossom deserves a place:

by Julie Reiner, Clover Club, Brooklyn, NY.
1 1/2 oz Gin, Plymouth
3/4 oz Dry apricot brandy
3/4 oz Bianco Vermouth, Martini & Rossi
2 ds Orange bitters
Stir, strain, up, lemon twist.
--
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community
Also one of the best names in drinks.

Dry apricot brandy = apricot eau-de-vie, right? (not the liqueur)

Yes. Blume Marillen or equivalent. That's just how KC saves that particular ingredient.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

That's right. I think I've only used eau-de-vie once before in a cocktail which was Toby Maloney's Poor Lisa if my memory is correct. It was pretty good but eau-de-vie is so expensive that I tend to limit my experiments with it.

The Irish Mermaid sounded intriguing so I took a run a that one last night. No brandied cherries reduced in Cherry Heering available (just used a luxardo cherry) but otherwise as written. Not the best at throwing a drink but I managed without making too much of a mess. B.G. Reynolds for orgeat and The Irishman 70 for my "quality" Irish whiskey.

Pretty darned tasty! Will likely make this again and share with friends.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I couldn't find the specs for Jim Meehan's French Maid online, so I wrote them up here:

by Jim Meehan, PDT, NYC.
1 1/2 oz Cognac, Hine
1 oz Ginger beer
3/4 oz Lime juice
3/4 oz Simple syrup
1/4 oz Falernum, Velvet Falernum
4 sli Cucumber
8 lf Mint (6-8)
1 spg Mint (as garnish)
Muddle cukes and mint in simple, then combine all, shake, and strain. Garnish with a mint sprig through a cucumber wheel.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com