• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best cocktails of the decade

Shalmanese

The New York Times seems to think:

Gin-Gin Mule

Benton’s Old-Fashioned

Oaxaca Old-Fashioned

Red Hook

St-Germain

Absinthe Drip

Bartender’s Choice

ETA: Just finished reading the article and find it funny that they harped on the marketing angle of the St. Germain cocktail while ignoring the same with regard to the Moscow Mule.

I would add Sam Ross's Paper Plane (as composed with Campari, not Aperol-this may be a Toby Maloney change, or may be Sam's original recipe, I'm unsure) to the list, one of my all-time favorites.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

As an objective matter, you'd have to say that the Gin Gin Mule is probably the most significant (and we all want to honor Audrey).

My personal favorites of the decade are the Oaxaca Old Fashioned and Eben Freeman's Waylon.

And of course Don's Benton's Old Fashioned was a mind blower (and we all want to honor Don).

Toby's Juliet & Romeo certainly deserves a spot on the list.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

As an objective matter, you'd have to say that the Gin Gin Mule is probably the most significant (and we all want to honor Audrey).

I have to ask, curiousity killed the cat, why this drink over others would be the most significant?

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

My top two nominations are the Red Hook and the Gin Gin Mule. Probably not deserving of top cocktails of the decade but other recent favorites of mine: The Seersucker, Marguerita, Earl Grey MarTEAni, Campari Alexander.

I'm a fan of the Earl Grey Marteani. It is really quite special.

Is this the Seersucker?

I don't drink many cocktails, I mostly just stick to Vodka Tonics, but that Gin Gin Mule sounds delicious. I might have to pick up the ingredients before I head over to the family New Years party tonight.

Please start. Happy New Year!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Is this the Seersucker?

Kent,

Yep, that's it. I am probably overrating it, but I think it's the best modern tiki drink invention I have tried, it's one of the few drinks I know that can really showcase a good strawberry, and it's one of my wife's favorite drinks (which makes it at least personally significant).

Was Audrey Saunders's Dreamy Dorini instrumental in propagating the Scotch-rinsed martini? That's an idea that seems to be darn near universally-known these days. Was anyone drinking this before Audrey came up with it?

Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar

Hands down, no question, without peer: Audrey's French Pearl. One sip of that drink has transformed more people into understanding and appreciating quality cocktails than any other drink I know. It blows people away -- and then you tell them what's in it, and they flip out again.

It's more recent and far less heralded, but I think that Jeff Morgenthaler's Norwegian Wood belongs on a top 10 list, too.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

It's more recent and far less heralded, but I think that Jeff Morgenthaler's Norwegian Wood belongs on a top 10 list, too.

Yes! I've said as much before, but I think this drink deserves a slot in the canon along the martini and manhattan.

Cynar Flip - Corey Bunnewith, Drink

Art of Choke - Kyle Davison, The Violet Hour

Rangoon Fizz - Toby Maloney, The Violet Hour, Patterson House

2 to 2 - Stephen Cole, The Violet Hour

Oaxacan Old Fashioned - Phil Ward, Mayahuel

Pulque - Kirk Estopinal, The Violet Hour, Cure, Beta Cocktails (formerly Rogue Cocktails)

Dogwood Manhattan - Michael Rubel, The Violet Hour, Big Star

Six Corner Sling - Ira Koplowitz, The Violet Hour, Bitter Cube

Juliet and Romeo - Toby Maloney, The Violet Hour, Patterson House

Kumquat Sazerac - Grant Achatz and Craig Schoettler, Alinea

Is there a practical way to replicate the Waylon at home without benefit of having a fountain? If I could find coke syrup, I could just smoke it and combine a little with the bourbon then shoot it with soda. Finding the coke syrup seems to be the hard part though. What would happen if you cold smoked the bourbon and just added regular coke? Would that bring something nasty to the equation?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On my earlier post I mentioned the 2 to 2 by Stephen Cole. That drink is cool and fascinating, but I meant the Broken Shoe Shiner:

Aperol

Benedictine

Pernod Absinthe

lemon juice

fresh pineapple juice

egg white

served in a coup. Garnished with a few drops of Rose Water.

Mind Boggling. Delicious.

• 3 years later...

A lot of nice drinks in this thread which I stumbled upon (hic!) while researching the Oaxaca Old-Fashioned I was drinking last night.

Troy Sidle's list a few posts upthread looks amazing but I am having issues finding recipes for some of them.

A bunch of them are covered in Rogue/Beta cocktails: Cynar Flip, Art of Choke, Broken Shoe Shiner, Juliet and Romeo.

I can't find a recipe for Toby Maloney's Rangoon Fizz other than it contains gin, ginger, lime, mint and tonic. It looks like a close relative of Audrey Saunders' Gin Gin Mule.

Pulque by Phil Ward - is there an actual cocktail by that name or is that just a reference to fermented agave?

Ira Koplowitz's Six Corner Sling sounds like a winner with Old Overholdt Rye, Lemon, Punte Mes, Grapefruit Bitters but what are the ratios?

I am sure that I can approximate these drinks based on the ingredient list and general common sense, but if there is an "official" recipe out there, I would love to know. Thanks!

I can't find a recipe for Toby Maloney's Rangoon Fizz other than it contains gin, ginger, lime, mint and tonic. It looks like a close relative of Audrey Saunders' Gin Gin Mule.

Pulque by Phil Ward - is there an actual cocktail by that name or is that just a reference to fermented agave?

Ira Koplowitz's Six Corner Sling sounds like a winner with Old Overholdt Rye, Lemon, Punte Mes, Grapefruit Bitters but what are the ratios?

I am sure that I can approximate these drinks based on the ingredient list and general common sense, but if there is an "official" recipe out there, I would love to know. Thanks!

I would assume that Troy was referring to a cocktail created by Kirk that's called Pulque. There was a drink of that name on the menu at The Violet Hour in 2008, which would have been around the time Kirk was there (or, shortly after he left). It was made with Tequila, Agave Nectar, and Blood Orange & Chocolate Bitters. In what proportions, I know not.

Ira's Six Corner Sling is as follows (from the horse's mouth, just now):

1.5 oz Old Overholdt Rye

.75 oz Punt e Mes

.75 oz Fresh Lemon Juice

.75 oz Simple Syrup

1 dash Angostura Bitters

1 dash Bittercube Orange Bitters

Pour 1/8 oz Green Chartreuse over an ice shard in a Collins glass. Shake the above with ice and strain into the prepared glass. Top with a small amount of soda water and garnish with a large swath of orange peel.

And, Toby's Rangoon Fizz is (per this post by Toby at LTHForum):

2 oz Tanqueray
.75 oz Ginger Syrup
1 oz Lime Juice
9 drops Angostura Bitters
5 sprigs Mint
Top: Q Tonic
Glass: Collins
Ice: Shard
Garnish: Mint Sprigs
Shake. Strain into Collins glass.
Ginger syrup is one part ginger juice (a health food store should be able to provide it, it's pretty pricey though) to two parts sugar.
The Q tonic is key as it is MUCH less sweet that normal tonic. Fever tree works as well.
Edited by KD1191 (log)

DeVoto, The Hour

• 3 weeks later...

Not the best, but there is a lot to be said of all the Hendricks, St Germain, Mint and Cucumber drinks that popped up over the last few years.

Great gateway cocktails for the uninitiated and certainly tasty.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Can't believe it's been nearly four years and no one has mentioned the Penicillin. :)

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937