• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dry Pot

nakji

I had dry pot (Gan Guo) for the first time the other night at a local restaurant in Suzhou, and really enjoyed it. They had several kinds available - frog, pork, chicken, and fish. I've never seen a recipe for in in any of my books, and was wondering if anyone had any experience making it? I couldn't work out how it was made.

I don't have any suggestions for gan guo, don't think I've ever tried it. I did a search on the web for more info because I wasn't sure what the dish was. It sounds like a combination of meat and veg that are cooked in a wok full of oil. What puzzles you about the cooking method?

I once cooked an Indian recipe that reminds me of gan guo. Chicken pieces in a marinade of ginger, garlic, chiles and shallots were cooked in a cupful of hot oil in the wok. It wasn't deep-frying, it wasn't shallow-frying. It was more like the meat and marinade were being braised in very hot oil.

I also came across this link, to my linguistic edification:

TMI?

You can see a couple of rather excitable Chinese women making a Sichuan version of Gan Guo Ji (Chicken) here. It's in Chinese but you can probably work out what they are doing.

There are several recipes on the interweb, but in Chinese.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 2 years later...