• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese offal recipes

Hi. My husband is Vietnamese and loves all things offal. I can't stand the stuff and have never cooked with it. He likes pork intestines and stomach especially. Can anyone help me out with some Vietnamese recipes for cooking offal. I really want to learn how to cook cháo lòng (rice porridge with pig offal) and also deep fried pig intestines (dồi trường chiên giòn I think it is called). I'm having trouble finding recipes in English. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :biggrin:

• 9 months later...

Here in the US the pig intestines are called chitlins. I'm not an expert on these, but I do know you have to either buy them well washed, or wash them well yourself - which would be the worst part of the task. I love the deep-fried ones I've had in Chinese Dim Sum places. I tried in vain for a recipe. However, I sort of made up my own... I found that simply deep-frying them was not 'right'. They were way too tough. So I 'red-cooked' them first. Basically cooking them in a soy based liquid (you can find recipes easily, and I never wrote one down). To make them a bit more Vietnamese add some of the standard Vietnamese spices in the cooking broth, like cassia, ginger, galangal, star anise, etc. I would also add some onion (studded with cloves and roasted a bit) and coriander (cilantro). Cook till tender (not too tender - still a little 'springy'). Slow is best. It might take a couple hours! Then remove, and dry well. Then deep-fry till crispy. The ones I've had were not coated, but a light dusting of corn starch or tapioca flour would not be out of the question. You should end up with a crispy cylinder with a tender soft interior - very nice. I've had them served with different type of pickled vegetables and sauces. There are certainly lots of Vietnamese pickles to choose from. Nuoc Mam Cham would work very well!

As for the congee... I think you might not have to really pre-cook the intestines, and you could cook them right along with the rice - long and slow. However I think traditionally they are cooked separately and then combined at service. So you could red-cook the intestines. Pig maw (stomach) is also nice this way. Cook till tender (here you want it slightly chewy too - but a little softer than with the fried version), then put into the congee just before serving.

• 1 month later...

Hi. My husband is Vietnamese and loves all things offal. I can't stand the stuff and have never cooked with it. He likes pork intestines and stomach especially. Can anyone help me out with some Vietnamese recipes for cooking offal. I really want to learn how to cook cháo lòng (rice porridge with pig offal) and also deep fried pig intestines (dồi trường chiên giòn I think it is called). I'm having trouble finding recipes in English. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :biggrin:

Oh, i also come from Vietnam, but i so hate offal. :(. I think, if you have a few of Vietnamesemese, you can easy to find a lot of recipe about offal. Good luck !