• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Funny Names for Store Brand Products

weinoo

Face it, at one time or another, we have all bought that store brand product in lieu of the often much higher-priced real stuff. I confess - I do, especially when it's half the price and the "imitation" isn't half bad. I think we've come a long way from the days when you might have found 2 giant peas in that can of Safeway peas (not that I ever bought canned peas, mind you).

But what interests me is the names that the marketers come up with for some of these products. Sometimes, they just crack me up.

For instance, I recently purchased generic Triscuits at a store called Harris Teeter, which is a chain of almost 200 stores (pretty good grocery stores, I might add), with headquarters in North Carolina.

Anyway, the generics are called Weav-its, and they're pretty darn good. Anyone else have anything with a funny or weird name in their cupboard?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Most store brand breakfast cereals have great names like Fruity Floats for Froot Loops. Not that Froot Loops isn't weird to begin with

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Back in the late 70's/early 80s, when generic products were new and all the rage, Ralph's markets in southern California had a whole line of PlainWrap products. They were all packaged and labeled very simply, in basic white with a blue stripe and the name of the product in large block letters. The line included a PlainWrap greeting card labeled simply "CARD," a white PlainWrap t-shirt that read "SHIRT," and a white PlainWrap teddy bear with "BEAR" printed across his chest.

joyce_plain_wrap_photo.jpg

MaryMc

Seattle, WA