• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whisky ganache

RichardJones

Dear e Gulleteers,

I wonder if a more experienced chocolatier or two might please be able to recommend some ganache recipes to show off some excellent Scotch Whiskys, please. I am hoping to produce chocolates with different blends/vintages (of the same brand) to offer for side-by-side tasting.

I would really appreciate any advice you might be able to give.

Thanks,

Richard

===================================================

I kept a blog during my pâtisserie training in France: Candid Cake

I am a big whisky/bourbon fan and I once made chocolates with both Makers Mark and Jim Beam. You couldn't tell the difference between the two really, and when I increased alcohol to increase the flavor (and in turn increase the taste difference) the "alcoholicness" of the ganache stood out and the taste was...well... icky!! Keep us updated on your progress though!!

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

what kind of chocolate are you using in our ganache?

If it's strong, like a 65-70% couverture, the flavours will compete, an as chocoalte is in a higher porportion, the chocoale will win, and mask the whiskey flavour.

So here's something to consider:........

say...

80 gr cream @33%

15 gr butter

150 gr milk chocolate (aprox 33-36% cocoa solids)

25 gr whiskey

Give it a try and let us know.....

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is too late but I found a whisky recipe-don't remember where I took it from:

It is usually done in two layers with a coffee ganache but here is the whisky layer for a hollow ball shell:

275g cream

700 g white chocolate

125g whisky

shell is milk chocolate, roll in c.p.

if you use it, tell me what you think!

I love whisky and I love chocolate ... skeptical that any of the nuance of the whisky would hold up. possibly a very aggressive, smoky, island malt would come through. never the less, i'd be more inclined to try this with a simpler, spicier, more robust (and cheaper!) bourbon. and yes, water ganache is absolutely the way to do it. you don't want dairy in there adding more layers over the booze.

Notes from the underbelly

I use glenfidich with milk chocolate- I think it is the chocolate that compliments it the best. I don't even like whiskey, but I do like this ganache. I use molded shells with dark chocolate:

80g cream

250g milk chocolate

30g whiskey

30g butter