• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where can I buy Foie Gras in UK

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone might know where you can buy foie gras in the uk. I don't mind if it's duck or goose but I was wondering if anyone knew of any importers or something. I want to make my own torchon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

@lostinthelarder

Lost in the Larder - the life and times of an inquisitive appetite

hullo

If you're in london, its pretty easy to get fresh duck foie gras from borough market. Wyndham house poultry are the best bet, although i'd advise ringing ahead as it isn't always in stock (especially this time of year).

As a fallback option the Marhe Quartier people opposite the ginger pig also have fresh foie gras, although they tend to gouge you a bit on the pricing front.

In terms of pricing i would consider 32-35 quid a kilo to be a decent price (back in the good old days wyndhams used to be 28.50 a kilo, but no lomger). Marche quartier charge 50 quid a kilo for whole livers and more for pieces. Wyndhams will generally cut off a smaller piece for you at same price. A normal duck foie gras is around 500-600g

Hope that helps

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

That's brilliant, thanks jo tsneg - I'm in the city on the 7th so will drop down to borough market to try score some foie. Your detail on pricing will be very useful. thanks so much.

eatenmess - I have a releative who runs some proffesional kitches for some banking company in in the city so if I'm stuck maybe this is a good way to obtain some too.

thanks guys.

Anymore for anymore?

@lostinthelarder

Lost in the Larder - the life and times of an inquisitive appetite

I have been to dinner with a friend in Twickenham who bought a lobe of fresh foie gras from their local fish and game merchant - Sandys I think it is called. It was delicious, she gave me some to take home and cook - I served it with a few slices of fresh mango which cut through the richness really well and was an interesting mix of textures and temperatures.