• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking a half stock pot

GRoston

All,

I am in the market for a half stock pot. After some looking around, I found that the Sitram Profiserie half stock pot (model 20164, 30 cm dia w/ capacity of 13.4 l) would be ideal. After several attempts to buy and/or calls (YourDelight Appliances: $193 w/ lid and shipping; Dvorsons: $195 plus shipping), it seems that everyone is out of stock until mid-February.

Some further looking turned up the Paderno low stock pot (model 11105-28, 28 cm dia w/ capacity of 14.5 l). Though the Sitram dimensions are more desirable, this seemed like a good alternative. So, I called World Cuisine, only to discover that they do not have rights for this design in the US, but that Lincoln does (which explains why my Lincoln Centurion pots look just like the Paderno pots!) Anyway, I called Lincoln and found that this pot is a special order, and no special orders will be placed until the end of January.

Sob story over. Questions: Can you suggest another pot of similar quality and size which I could purchase? Can you recommend a retailer who might have the Sitram in Stock?

Thanks!

Amazon appears to have it in stock; here's a link that puts a few pennies in the Society coffers without costing you a thing: click here.

I have to ask, though: is this specifically for making stock and soups? If you're just talking about large quantities of relatively thin liquids, you don't need anything so expensive.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Right now in Canada, there is the huge twice a year Paderno sale. All our local Paderno stores have on sale this 14L stock pot w/cover reg. $313.00 for $99.00. No one is answering the phones today and I have no idea of whether they would ship to the States or not, of if this is what you want or not. One thing I can tell you, is that this model is made in Canada, not China.

I can send you some addresses and numbers if you are interested.

I do like Paderno and own quite a number of pieces which are MINE, MINE, MINE and no one else touches them!!!

Hmmm....I might even buy this one. I usually buy one piece a year.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne,

For the record, there are two companies named Paderno:

The original, the stuff that I use, and the one whose name is kicked around this forum --> http://www.paderno.it/

And the Canadian name licensee, which is not related in any way to the Italian company --> http://www.paderno.com

As you alluded to, the Canadian Paderno makes cookware in Canada, as well as China, Indonesia, etc. The Italian Paderno is made in, well, Italy :biggrin:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Try JB Prince--

http://www.jbprince.com/professional-cookware/sitram-profiserie.asp

Looking closely, I think the 30cm is out of stock, but the 34cm is in stock and is actually less expensive than the 30cm, perhaps because it's older stock purchased at wholesale when the dollar was stronger.

They've also got an 11" stew pot in their Catering line, which I prefer, but isn't suitable for induction, if that's an issue.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

Darienne,

For the record, there are two companies named Paderno:

The original, the stuff that I use, and the one whose name is kicked around this forum --> http://www.paderno.it/

And the Canadian name licensee, which is not related in any way to the Italian company --> http://www.paderno.com

As you alluded to, the Canadian Paderno makes cookware in Canada, as well as China, Indonesia, etc. The Italian Paderno is made in, well, Italy :biggrin:

Well, you do learn something new everyday and not all of it is happy. :sad: I knew that the Paderno sold locally was made in PEI (and China and Indonesia), but had no idea that there was another Paderno company in Italy. I think I had better go and have a quiet cup of coffee. :hmmm:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

All,

Thanks for the replies. Not being the patient sort, i.e., it's the middle of soup season and I want to start cooking, I have done some more digging and have come up with two alternatives: Vollrath Intrigue Mirror Finish S/S Sauce Pot (17 qt) and Matfer Bourgeat Excellence Sauce pot (19 qt).

From my perspective, the price is the same. On the Wasserstrom web-site, the Vollrath is listed as weighing 16 pounds (suggestive of quality) and comes with a measly one year warranty. The Matfer Bourgeat is listed as weighing 9 pounds (much less material?) and comes with a limited lifetime warranty.

If you were picking between these two pots, which would you select?

Volrath for me. I have two, a 12 Qt and a24 qt.See the line here, they have it covered and at a good price. Although it has been a couple years since I bought my 24qt there.

I've had my 12 qt in Vollrath for 35 years, it still make a nice pot of stock about every other week.

Robert

Seattle

From my perspective, the price is the same. On the Wasserstrom web-site, the Vollrath is listed as weighing 16 pounds (suggestive of quality) and comes with a measly one year warranty. The Matfer Bourgeat is listed as weighing 9 pounds (much less material?) and comes with a limited lifetime warranty.

I can't imagine how useful a warranty could be. Apart from the handles falling off, there's very little that can happen to a pot that's not user error.

PS: I am a guy.