• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Browned, Clarified Butter

eternal

The other day I was clarifying a couple pounds of butter and I accidentally took it a little too far and lightly browned it. Without the milk solids it is hard to say how "brown: it got but it def has that nutty smell. What do I do with it now? Just use it for brown butter sauces or would it still work well for my original intentions (cooking meat at very high heats where I want to impart a butter flavor - steak au poivre, etc).

Sounds like you made ghee.

If it tastes like ghee or beurre noisette, use just as you'd use either of those.

You can also use for general sautéeing. Anything that you want to brown, and that you want to cook in butter, will work fine with brown butter. Just beware that it will still smoke at a lower temp than a refined oil.

Notes from the underbelly

higher temps than whole butter, but not as high as high heat oils like refined grapeseed or safflower or canola.

seems to me there's been a move among chefs to saute in refined oils and then finish with whole butter, rather than using clarified butter. but clarified butter / ghee etc. work fine if you're careful enough with the heat.

Notes from the underbelly