• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vintage de Kuyper Geneva

Penwu

I stumbled across a bottle of very old de Kuyper Geneva at an antique store this morning, and I'm trying to find some information on it. I didn't have a chance to take it out of the glass case to examine it closely, but it is full, and the store owner says the seal is intact. I've attached a photo I found of a bottle that looks just like it (though the one I was looking at had a bit of the label torn and missing.

Does anyone have any idea if it would be a particularly valuable bottle for a collector, or if it might still be suitable for drinking? I'd appreciate any input you might have.

1_dff344e8e0dcc66ba9bd3ec592c6a043.jpg

Edited by Penwu (log)

Ok, I went back and bought it. The cork appears to be intact, and it's full almost right up to the top...so now I need to decide whether or not to crack it open, or leave it sealed. Can anyone help me identify the vintage I've got? Any idea if it's still drinkable? Anyone know any details about de Kuyper Geneva of this age? Here are a couple pictures of my bottle:

bottle.JPG

label.JPG

seal.JPG

Edited by Penwu (log)

Ok Penwu, this dates from the 1920s or earlier because in the 30s they'd begun using other methods of closure. Traditional genever bottles like this were much the same from the mid-19th century (and before if you except the label) to, as I say, the 1930s. If the bottle has a pontil scar (look it up) on the bottom, that would put it in the 19th century. If it has a mold seam up the side (usually hidden in one of the corners on genever bottles) it is surely 20th century. FWIW, I envy you this lovely acquisition! Hope this helps! --Doc :smile:

• 2 years later...

I have a bottle of De Kuyper Geneva that I believe is from the 1950/1960's?? It is un opened and was wondering if anyone had an idea of how much it is worth? I cannot find anything similar on the internet. The bottle is unopened and in very good condition. It is a 73cl bottle and has the heart shaped logo on a tapered green bottle.