• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gingerbread

jsmeeker

My mother made gingerbread cake topped with 7-minute frosting and dribbled with melted chocolate. 

B Pattisserie makes a lovely gingerbread cake dusted with powdered sugar.    It's elusive flavor AFAIK and I'm guessing, contains fresh ginger, cocoa. and coffee.     I've come close with

this recipe.

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

This topic is ten years old now and I am currently looking for the ideal gingerbread recipe.  What I can't understand is that only one post above mentions serving gingerbread with apple sauce.  And none of my cookbooks, even the Canadian one, mentions apple sauce either.  One of the few desserts my Mother made was gingerbread and we always had it with applesauce (which she would also make...there being relatively few ready-to-eat items on the market 75 years ago).  I thought this was the way you were supposed to eat it.  But then I thought Cheddar cheese was the only thing to accompany Apple pie and it seems not to be an American tradition.  Just sounding off....

Friends swear by the late great Laurie Colwin - https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016198-laurie-colwins-gingerbread

Applesauce...?...  I think in some parts it is a faux "German" thing. But taste is the main thing ;)