• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spicy Garlic Shrimp 깐풍새우

Its from Korea but you get in Chinese restaurants.

1 pound shrimp (shelled and deveined)

1 egg white

1 cup corn starch

water

Mix shrimp, egg white and just enough water (if need) to turn them from dry and into a batter. Lightly fry shrimp and set aside.

Sauce:

2 tablespoon chili oil

4 or 5 dried peppers

Add dried peppers to hot chili oil cook a few seconds then add:

1 tablespoon garlic

1/2 tablespoon soy sauce

1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar

1/2 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon ginger juice

Pinch of salt.

3 tablespoons finely chopped onion

2 Finely chopped red pepper

2 Finely chopped green pepper

Cook 2 or 3 minutes.

Mix 1/4 cup water with 1/2 tablespoon corn starch add to pan and mix. When mixed and hot add shrimp. Coat shrimp and serve.

Korean or not, it looks great... your photo has inspired to do something similar tonight (minus most of the heat -- while my kids have learned to appreciate garlic, they but aren't yet on friendly terms with capsaicin).

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

Korean or not, it looks great... your photo has inspired to do something similar tonight (minus most of the heat -- while my kids have learned to appreciate garlic, they but aren't yet on friendly terms with capsaicin).

Without the heat I am sure that the kids will like it.