• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yeasted roll rise question

lilthorner

I am about to make a roll recipe that I adore.. It is a "home cook" recipe.. it calls for 2 rises, the second right before baking.. is this the proofing time that would be if I was in the kitchen? I have figured out how to make my oven like a proof box, so I would prefer to do that, if that is the point of the second rise..

Thanks in advance

The only problem with using your oven to do the second rise (aka proofing in your case) is that you'll have to take the rolls out of the oven in order to pre-heat it. By the time the oven pre-heats, you run the risk of over-proofing the rolls. My suggestion would be to do a 1 - 2 combo.

First, do the first rise in your oven like you suggested. This will get the dough at a really nice temperature as it transitions into the second rise. Pull the dough out of the oven and set the dial to the correct temperature to pre-heat it. Second, if you are worried that your kitchen might be too cold, after shaping and panning the rolls (I'm assuming you are baking these on a sheet pan, yes?), place it on top of an electric heating pad turned on somewhere between the medium and the highest setting. Cover the formed rolls with a tea towel (or two) to prevent a skin from forming on the rolls. Once the rolls are proofed and the oven is at temp, you'll be good to go.

Good luck!

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I've only made the rolls one time previously. (Thanksgiving) it calls for the first rise in the bowl, punch down, form into balls and then place in a buttered cake pan (9x13) then rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size..

if I made rolls at school (diff recipe) I believe I rise, punch down form, and freeze or form and then proof. the oven things makes lots of sense.. I will most likely do it the regular way, or the heating pad..