• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meat and Seafood sources in DC

I'm staying in DC for the holidays and will be drafted into cooking something. Any recommendations on meat or seafood sources not near the cathedral / Cleveland park? I am geographically challenged here and don't know A street from Z street, but can probably manage reasonable trips with google maps help.

Have been to both the Whole Foods near here and find the contents a bit depressing.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

ack! that farmers market won't be open til my last day here and anapolis is way too far.

any good food in dc proper during the week?

Hey Paul,

Since I've been spending a fair amount (or maybe even way too much) of time in the district, I've discovered a few places. Harris Teeter is a grocery that has a pretty decent meat and seafood department. The one I've been going to is on 17th St. in Adams Morgan.

Also, the Eastern Market reminds me greatly of the Essex St. Market (though it looks new thanks to a renovation after a fire a couple of years ago). Good butchers and a great atmosphere.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Are you on public transport? If so, you're kind of screwed.

The Whole Foods in Glover Park, just north of Georgetown, doesn't strike me as as bad as you seem to have found it. Hunt up the dry-aged prime beef. The fish there can be pretty good, as well, and the cheese selection. Get the wine across the street at Pierson's.

When I go looking for meat, if I'm not at the Whole Foods I'm at Union Meats in Wienoo's new stomping grounds of Eastern Market. Bought an excellent prime rib there for Thanksgiving. There's also a passable cheese shop and, if you want to cook all nose-to-tail, you can get more obscure bits of pork. The fishmonger there is to be avoided at all costs.

The Dean & DeLuca in Georgetown generally has a very limited fish and meat selection and it's pricey, but it's usually damn good.

My thought for the best fish in town is the market at Black Salt, which isn't exactly around the corner but is probably only three turns from Wisconsin Avenue (where I assume you're staying). Best fish market I've ever seen not in Crete. Also, it's next to a no-longer-brilliant-but-still-passable bakery and one of the best wine stores in town.

I've never been a huge fan of Wagshal's butcher shop, but in deference to the many whom I respect and who are indeed big fans, and to the fact that the directions are brutally simple -- "go down Wisconsin to Massachusetts and take a right(west) and go to the District line" -- I include it.

Finally, assuming that you're staying in Cathedral/Cleveland Park, the best Indian Restaurant (Heritage of India) and the best strip club (Good Guys) are across the street from one another, just down the hill from Wisconsin Avenue. Just sayin'.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

And if we give up, i'll look forward to family xmas at the Indian joint and the strip club.

There's a Tom Waits song waiting to happen...

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

• 4 years later...

Does anyone know of good places to get offal and fresh seafood, particularly fish? As of late I've been sourcing from polyface and some local farms in farmer's markets...it is exceedingly difficult to get a hold of certain organ meats however that aren't the usual heart/liver/kidneys. I've been getting fish from Hmart but it often isn't very fresh or sits there on ice. 

Maine Ave fish market, perhaps? Or, as was suggested upthread, the Black Salt fish market. I find the stuff at Hmart pretty damn good, but perhaps I'm just getting lucky. If you want weird organ meats, try Red Apron in Merrifield or the Organic Butcher in McLean - what they don't have on site they can definitely order for you.

They might be able to get whatever organs you're looking for at Stachowski's.

I find the seafood looks very good at the P Street Whole Foods.

And  there is a seafood vendor and a butcher in the Union Market.  Excuse me - artisans.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?