• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melbourne Treats

Hola,

In January I'm taking Mrs. Meshugana and the three little helpers to Melbourne for a bit of a getaway/business trip. We've been before, and absolutely love the city and the people, and enjoyed some good food while we were there.

Last time we spent our time in Footscray and Dandenong, and enjoyed (in Footscray) a place called Little Angel (cafe/etc) and some Thai restaurant that I believe also had 'Angel' in the name.

We'll be mainly in Footscray and Thomastown, with at least one trip downtown to see the street musos, and we'll have to spend some time in Colburg at the Indian consulate (a long story). Also, we'll be pretty occupied in the evenings, so lunch is what we're after.

We're looking for some memorable places to eat, unique, something special - but we're a family of 5 (almost 6) so none of that fancy nonsense. ;) Besides, we've lived in India for a few years, we can handle the little dodgy places if the food is good!

So far on my list (from perusing the other Melbourne threads) is only:

The Bratwurst Shop @ Queen Vic Market

Any ideas?

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

• 2 weeks later...

I had just spent 30 minutes typing you a longish reply.... but lost it.... so in haste now, I won't repeat it, especially as most of my response focussed on either Asian restaurants or pubs, and I don't know if that will fit your. I'll just post some links which could be helpful in your search for budget-friendly - yet tasty - family fare:

China Town: there's a link later in this forum listing some Chinatown gems such as Supper Club, Spicy Fish, etc. Not good for vegetarians though, as I've tried before to take vego friends with much difficulty.

Lygon St: this is the little Italy of Melbourne. It's worth walking down even just for a look, and no doubt you'll be sucked into a restaurant to eat metres of pizza!

Lental as Anything, St Kilda: this is just near Luna Park, and is vegetarian, but an 'out of this world' type of vegetarian. The price is not set. You pay what you think it deserves. From Brunwick or the city, you can get the 96 tram all the way there, and the tram ride if absolutely worth it for the views too. They also have a branch in Abbotsford http://www.lentilasanything.com/

Nudel Bar, Bourke St: Funky and trendy cafe, serving all types of creative noodle dishes between $15 to $25 a bowl.... from Asian Char Kway Teow to Western Bolagnaise, with a twist. Don't leave without having dessert! That's my favourite bit, and no doubt they will deliver a feast.

The Age Cheap Eats Guide 2009: Find yourself a copy of this food bible which lists 500+ restaurants where you can eat for less than $30pp, and you'll find many around the areas where you're staying. http://www.readings.com.au/product/9780143011316/the-age-cheap-eats-2009

Other websites with some gems: I'm too lazy to retype my suggestions and descriptions for lunches, but these two websites cover a lot of what I would have said, especially Giraffe, Rose Garden BBQ, Pho, and Central CLub Hotel:

http://www.verycheapeats.com/

http://matthayward.com/2009/06/30/brilliant-cheap-eats-in-melbourne.htm

Piglit, thanks a million! I'll add your suggestions to the list. Turns out one of my 'India-side' friends will be visiting Melbourne at the same time, and he's already promised to take me to Lygon street.

Thanks again,

PastaMeshugana

Well, we're here now - I'll keep updating.

So far the highlight has been a meal in Footscray at Lazy Moe's. A nice big place, but one of those menu's that covers so many cuisines (Thai, Italian, Indian and continental? On the same menu?) that worries you about their ability to pull it off.

However, I really enjoyed the roasted pork belly I had. Very soft, great flavor, and the 'rustic mash' it was served with was perfect comfort food.

Today we're headed out to Queen vic market to try the selection - I'll try to get some pics this time.

Cheers,

PastaMeshugana