• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savour in Ballard

I happened to be walking by Savour in Ballard on it's opening day and decided to check it out. They've definitely managed to stock quite a few eclectic food items. I picked up a case of Q tonic water which I hadn't seen elsewhere and there was a bottle of muscat vinegar that looked interesting but was unfortunately, unpriced at that point.

The owners are actively looking for things to stock so if you have an idea for an interesting & unique food product, they're open to looking for it. I think Ballard is definitely taking it's place as a foodie heaven in Seattle with Trader Joes, Ballard Market, Savour & that baking store I always forget the name of all within a few blocks of each other. Not to mention restaurant row & bars galore.

PS: I am a guy.

• 1 month later...

So I go back into Savour today to see how they're going and I notice they have a Jamon Iberico in the meat & cheese section. I ask how much it is and they reply $39.95 a lb. I do a quick double take, see if I heard that right and quickly order a whole pile of it.

This is the real deal, nutty with the aroma of acorns, fat that melts on your lip, just a wonderful piece of ham. I'm checking online now and nobody is selling this for under $90 a lb. Seriously, best deal in town right now.

PS: I am a guy.

Ooh, thanks for the tip! I happen to have a list of goodies I've been meaning to show to them. Now I have a VERY good reason to stop by soon!

I also want to tell them that the cheaper brand of truffle salt(about $11 I think) they carry, which is very dark and looked like it was just chock-full of truffles, doesn't hold a candle to the more expensive Casina Rossa Truffle & Salt (around $19), which they also have. They didn't know - they didn't have either open in the store. But as soon as I opened the cheaper jar and *didn't* smell the wonderful aroma that hits me when open the Casina Rossa jar, I knew. Nuthin', just nuthin'. Didn't taste (or smell) like truffles; didn't even taste like salt! I don't know what it was. I tossed it and went to the Ballard Town 'n Country Market and got the good stuff (a little cheaper there than at Savour - sorry, but although I will spend $$$ on good ingredients, I still need to count the pennies). I probably could have returned it, but it wasn't their fault - and I did tell them when I bought it that I'd report back.

Some of the things on my list that I didn't see that first trip there are: Urbani truffle paste, Gypress Grove truffle goat cheese (yes, I am addicted to all things truffle!), Duck confit (I think that Metro Mkt and De Laurenti carry it, but Ballard (where I work) is much handier for me), carnaroli rice, duck eggs . . .

You're right, Ballard is becoming a very nice place to be a serious eater!

OT a bit (sorry): I'm not too thrilled with the new Whole Foods nearby in Interbay, though. It's just too small to have the full range of goodies. I really only go to WF for specialty, hard-to-find items (including all of the above), and those seem to be the ones they cut out for lack of space. I haven't seen much there that I can't get at the QFC or Thriftway in Magnolia (where I live). I did have a nice thing happen there, though - the clerk dropped my jar of saffron threads and it broke into a million pieces. As he was cleaning up while his co-worker went back for another jar, he handed over the individual little plastic containers that were inside the jar - they were fine, but he said they'd just have to throw them away, so did I want 'em? Why, sure! (I did buy the new bottle the coworker fetched, too).

Edetid ta korekt spelin erers.

Edited by Special K (log)

Special K: Have you seen the new QFC around the corner from Savour? It's also quite nice and huge. I just picked up a lovely USDA Prime NY Strip for $12 a lb!

Yes, thank you for reminding me - I did stop in shortly after they opened, but I only looked, didn't shop because I had no time. I need to go back. I really like the QFC up on Holman Road. I went there only after the one by Value Village (the one that's going to become Value Village in another week or two) closed. It's great, but two bus rides away from work. The one around the corner from Savour I can walk to. :biggrin:

I went by today, after emailing Holly (the owner) yesterday about the truffle salt. I also gave her my list, and she emailed back, saying they were working on their second jamon iberico(and would be getting more) and now carry truffle butter and Madagascar vanilla bean paste as well. I didn't see the iberico today, but I got some serrano and the truffle butter. (I was in a tearing hurry, and I forgot the VBP, dang it.) I can't wait to get home alone with that truffle butter! :wub:

On my way there I stopped at the new QFC and got a different brand of truffle salt - Fusion, it is, Artisan Salt Company, and at about $15 a jar it's every bit as good as the more expensive stuff I mentioned above, and it comes in a nicer jar (plastic rather than glass - good for butterfingers in the kitchen - and with a shaker top, which I've wished for). I meant to recommend it to Holly, because I didn't see it at Savour (also didn't see the cheaper stuff I bought there - I guess they had other complaints). I love giving this salt, with bread, etc., to new homeowners, and I'm helping a friend move this weekend.

The clerk at QFC said they also have truffle oil, but I've been burned by "truffle oil" before. I think he said they also have truffle paste, and actual truffles, but I had to fly to get to Savour (lunch hour).

I guess another trip is in order! Oh, yes, definitely.

One day I will O.D. on truffles! :laugh:

Edited by Special K (log)

One tiny quibble: both times I've been in Savour, I've been helped by the same clerk. Both times, she said, "You'll have to come back in and tell me how that tastes." Now, wouldn't you think you should taste your products yourself before you sell them? I'm sure the owner does, but shouldn't her clerks, too?

If I were clerking in a store like this, you'd better believe I'd taste everything in the inventory! (Of course, that wouldn't necessarily be only for altruistic purposes :laugh: )

All in all, though, I'm pleased with this shop. It looks like it's going to be a success. I hope so.