• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Unique Salts

whole foods has all kinds of salts, as my cupboard can tell. There I got Hawaiian black salt, Himalayan black salt (with charcoal), Himalayan rock salt, real rocks and a little grater, but it also comes in smaller pieces, lemon salt, herb salt, Fleur de Sel, gray sea salt, and a couple more I'm sure. If you have one up there, check them out. It's not always only with the spices, check around the cheese counter too and ask. These are all finishing salts, not on the cheap side, but you don't cook with them and they'll last a long time.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Whole foods, De Laurenti's, Market spice, World spice, Big John's PFI, Savour in Ballard.

edit: Also consider looking online. Saltworks has free shipping until the end of the year. I was looking for some Maldon sea salt and it was $6.50 at saltworks compared to $12+ at De Laurenti's.

Edited by Shalmanese (log)

PS: I am a guy.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday [1.8.10] PCC, at their new Edmonds store, had a salt tasting. I didn't go but apparently they had various distributor reps bring in their wares.

That store is the best PCC I have seen. I hope they get to upgrade the rest.

Robert

Seattle

• 7 months later...

There's a place in Lynnwood that a friend of mine likes called Sea Salt Superstore. I haven't been there yet.

I buy a few types of salt at World Spice Merchants on Western under the Pike Place Market (alderwood smoked, Himalayan and several others were available). PFI, Metropolitan Market, and on occasion, Whole Foods or PCC will do the trick, too.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

It's not Seattle, but at least the Pacific NW--last Christmas one of my sisters gave me some black truffle salt from a shop in Portland, OR called The Meadows. It was sublime.

They have an extensive list of salts available by mail order here.