• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weirdness from my cookie pans

Jacquester

I have 2 aluminum cookie pans that I have been using for years. Last week I made some molasses oatmeal cookies(unsulfured), and since then anytime I wipe the pan with a paper towel it is a greenish black. Any ideas? The pans are typical chef's cookie sheets. I'm afraied to use them without lining them. Is it time for new cookie sheets?

Edited by Jacquester (log)

“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”

W.C. Fields

Looks like it's time for some new pans :sad:

No, they're just tarnished, so to speak. All you have to do is clean 'em up with a little cream of tartar.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Keep the pans! They are okay.

As Joe says, use cream of tartar to clean the pans.

You can also "polish" them with a barely damp cloth and dry baking soda (bicarb) which will also remove all the little burnt-on brown spots and spots of grease.

After you have done all your baking and washed and dried the pans, wipe them both inside and out with mineral oil and remove all the excess with a paper towel. Stack them with a layer of paper towels in between and store them in one of the jumbo plastic storage bags (the Hefty xxl size fits the half-size sheet pans) but don't close the zip all the way.

You can hang them from the handle of the bag, which takes up less room - mine hang from a hook up near the ceiling in my pantry.

The microscopic layer of oil will keep the aluminum from oxidizing and they will be ready to use with either a coating of your favorite cooking grease or with bakers parchment for your next baking project.

I have several aluminum sheet pans/cookie sheets that are 20 years old and still just fine.

I put mine through the dishwasher and with the above treatment have no problems.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a bunch of commercial sheet pans bought used from resto stores ... they've been practically demolished by dishwasher detergent, but the damage is esthetic. I use them all the time. I've cleaned them with barkeeper's friend and have no problem with residue coming off on food or anything else. The oxalic acid probably reverses the oxidation just like cream of tartar.

Notes from the underbelly