• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LAX area

dlc

My wife and I will be flying in on Monday night 1/11. We will be returning after a couple of weeks in Vietnam and have to overnight in LA. We will be arriving in mid afternoon and looking for something tasty for dinner in the LAX area where our hotel is located. As we will have been in the far east for a couple of weeks that is the only type of food we would not be interested in on our first night back. Also I will most likely not have a coat and tie nor will we have a car so cab only, if that makes a difference in the choices. Thanks in advance.

There's an In N Out right next to the airport on Sepulveda. I always crave that as soon as I get back from someplace far.

A little more upscale, there's a Houston's on Rosecrans (go south on Sepulveda and then east on Rosecrans). They don't require a dinner jacket, but they'll make you remove your baseball cap.

Down the direction of Houston's, there's also a P.F. Chang's, a McCormick seafood place, a little Italian place (who's name escapes me at the moment, but it's right next door to Houston's, literally, they share a wall).

And if you're willing to travel a little farther, there's a King's Hawaiian bakery/restaurant on 190th (I believe that's the street).

That's a few of the major ones in the area. There's also a wealth of little places up and down Sepulveda, including Thai, a hotel bar/eatery, the prepared foods section of a Whole Foods, and a great steakhouse right next to the Whole Foods called Salt Creek Grille.

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

Shamanjoe, I think 190th is a bit far to take a cab for dinner -- that is well past Manhattan, Redondo, and Hermosa Beaches.

I also disagree with the suggesting Houstons and P.J. Chang's. Those are chain restaurants available all over the country and hardly special or indicative of what is great about California. And I'm afraid the "Italian" you are thinking of is Macaroni Grill (yet another chain).

There are some great recommendations in Manhattan Beach, however; RockNFish, for example.

And I'm afraid the "Italian" you are thinking of is Macaroni Grill (yet another chain).

I'm hurt that you'd even think I would recommend Macaroni Grill :sad: That's barely edible, let alone Italian..

The place I was referring to is called the Lido Di Italian Ristorante (http://www.lidodimanhattan.com/). And they only asked for something tasty, we're not talking about authentic little places that serve "true California cuisine" or whatever you want to call it. There's not much of that close to the airport anyway.

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

The Italian restaurant you are referencing is Lido di Manhattan. It has a nice menu and well prepared. We have eaten there a number of times.

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

The Italian restaurant you are referencing is Lido di Manhattan. It has a nice menu and well prepared. We have eaten there a number of times.

I ate there a few years ago and enjoyed very much.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Well, this is coming from my squid obsession which has not been hitting the mark. I have not been in a while but in Lincoln in Venice (not that far from LAX) is a goofy restaurant called Casa Blanca. They have a woman making fresh tortillas and they specialize in calamari steak with different sauces.

They have a woman making fresh tortillas and they specialize in calamari steak with different sauces.

How's the calamari steak? I always tend to overcook it, maybe that's why I don't like it very much..

Well, it has been many moons since I was there, but I recall it as fork tender. They used those large steaks that are run I think through a tenderizing apparatus. I think they do a quick pan sear in butter/oil. They retain just a bit of chew, and have that squid sweetness that then goes well with the tortillas and salsa as a contrast. Quality Seafood was doing them in giant strips and battered/fried, but they discontinued them a few weeks ago!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Yes a burger is usually one of the first desires when we return from Vietnam. We were not looking for a chain restaurant but I have checked out the websites of Joe's, Axe, Gjelina, and Cafe Pinguini. I will check out Lido also. Now to see about reservations. Thanks for all of the great ideas. I will report back when we return.

Thanks Heidi, I'll have to go check it out.

dlc, glad we could help! We look forward to hearing what you had..

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to say that missed flights, delays and jetlag put us in no mood to go out to dinner. I am sorry that I missed some of these options but next trip I hope. I will say a late night burger and house made chips hit the spot from the 96th St. Bistro at the Renaissance LAX hit the spot. Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Edited by dlc (log)