• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for chestnut paste....

Lan4Dawg

My mother called in a panic b/c she found a receipt for a trifle (I think she said) that calls for chestnut paste. They live in the middle of no-where (really) and do not have access to much. I have looked some around here (Gwinnett County, GA) and have not seen it. Before I take off on a wild-goose chase I would appreciate any help finding it around Atlanta. I have called a few places I would think might carry some thing like that but to no avail. Almond paste and even pickled walnuts are in stock but no chestnut paste.

thx in advance.

edited to add:

(note: found it on-line but want it locally if possible to get to her by Christmas)

Edited by Lan4Dawg (log)

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

I just saw some at Whole Foods, don't know if you have one locally, but if you do, call them. It's $7 for a jar. Also Asian supermarkets usually at least have whole boiled (or roasted) chestnuts, sometimes frozen. I'm not sure how a paste is made, but would imagine it involves a blender.

Oliver

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

beautimous! I thank you and my mother thanks you. There is a Whole Foods not too far and I was about to call them when I saw your response.

the best cat ever.

Thx again OliverB I stopped by Whole Foods this after noon and got a can. It is "chestnut puree" but that should be close enough and it was on sale! so even better. I hope this trifle she is making is good.

the best cat ever.

Oh, great! Glad I could help! I just happened to see it while looking for ginger syrup on the same shelf. Almost bought some but figured that now I know where to get it I should wait for a recipe to make with it :laugh:

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog