• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Small, Low-lit, Cozy, Romantic Restaurant Needed!

davidbdesilva

I need a small, cozy, low-lit restaurant to have a romantic dinner with someone I am trying to rekindle a relation ship. We will be in center city on Jan. 2nd walking around, taking in the post-holiday sites and hopefully walking arm-in-arm through Rittenhouse Square (or a similar venue). I am very familiar with the city so if I have to take a cab no biggie. BYOB would be really nice but not a necessity. Not uppity or expensive (which will make her uncomfotable) but definitely cozy and romantic. If I have to take a cab to get there (we'll be in center city) then fine. Am thinking of places like: August; Pumpkin; Caffe Casta Diva; Sat/Sun/Mon; etc. Cusine should be straight ahead and comfort food. Thanks for any and all suggestions. If all goes well I'll be a happy man come the new year.......

Edited by davidbdesilva (log)

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

I'd go the Fri Sat Sun route. As romantic as it gets in CC, and the food is still top notch, as is service, hich always helps the romantic vibe. Tank Bar apres dinner is also lovely and tres romatic.

"Rekindle"? Please explain in a PM if you can.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I'll check out Bibou ASAP but it might not be right, I'll have to take a look. Thanks Rich for your help with Fri/Sat/Sun, I knew you would come through for me! I'll explain, no worries! Lemme throw one more out there, what about Chick's Wine Bar? Looks and sounds romantic, good wine by the glass, and I hear the food is good? Opinions please? Thanks!

Edited by davidbdesilva (log)

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Some of the tables in the front at Tria on 18th might be considered cozy and low lit, however if you're looking for a full service dinner you might be better served elsewhere. I really liked Chick's, espeically when Katie was there, it's got a nice, old-school feel to and would only be a short cab ride from Rittenhouse.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Bibou for the food and French bistro atmosphere, but it can get a bit noisy. If you want to sit at their "bar" it may give a sense of intimacy.

Branzino has a lower noise level and IIRC there's an area upstairs that's more intimate.

Regardless of where you go it's up to you to create a sense of timelessness and closeness.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)