• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean Eats & Resources in Raleigh/Triangle

wendyperry

As I'm researching 2010 trends for my cooking class schedule, Korean keeps popping up. I would like to hear any recommendations out there for Korean resources in the Triangle area... for dining, grocery shopping, etc.

I would like to find somewhere that would welcome a "field trip" into their restaurant to do a tasting for us and some basic education. Then, after that, I would like to take class attendees to a Korean grocery store for same and some Korean pantry-stocking shopping.

To follow up, I will be planning a cooking class... not sure yet if hands-on or demo, but most likely hands-on.

Thanks for any suggestions you can throw me! And if there is someone out there who would go to such a restaurant w/me to teach me, I'd love that too! :smile:

from my kitchen to yours,

wendy perry

...kitchen & culinary artisan

marketing maven ~ passionate foodie

visit me...

Your mention of Korean ingredients reminded me of a video I came across the other day when I was searching for some spices and the places in NYC to get them http://www.blip.tv/file/2811492. The chef has mentioned the Korean red chilies and has also told some uses of the same. The chilies are supposed to have a very mild flavor unlike the searing taste that is associated with chilies. I think you are not alone in the quest for such ingredients since more and more people are realizing that the next trend in cuisines is the strong Asian influence. Let me know if you find this useful!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Chosun OK in Durham at the intersection of 54 & 55 is another good choice for Korean dining locally. There are several good Korean markets locally, though I don't know names only the restaurants they are near. For instance, just off Glenwood, near Waraji, there's a quite good Korean market, Lotte Oriental Food, 6311-C Glenwood Ave. (919) 571-7777. There's also one next to Vit Goal, the Korean tofu restaurant.

If such a class were presented, I'd hope it would go beyond the basic dishes served to most non-Korean diners. Don't get me wrong, the variety of small dishes, like kimchi and the other fermented items are essential, but I hed to read Momofuku to realize rice cakes were a very common Korean dish.

If you haven't already done so, check out "Asian Dining Rules" written by Steven A. Shaw, founder of this very site.