• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep-boil Soup

CNLink

Whoever has visited Hong Kong or Guangdong must have been impressed by the Cantonese deep-boil soup. In the next few days I will post some recipes of these wholesome, nutritious and healthy treats.

Any particular soup you want included?

What is deep-boil soup? It's a translation I don't understand... Do you mean soup simmered for hours? Soup in ceramic containers inside a large pot? I need Uncle Ben to provide the Chinese pronunciation. :rolleyes:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

not if it includes cinnamon and sugar. :unsure:

And what's wrong with that?

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it, I was just stating MY preference. If you desire to throw in bay leaves, or thyme, or even a smooth stone or two, then have at it and fill your boots.

• 1 month later...
What is deep boiled soup?

I am Cantonese. I probably know what CNLink meant by 'deep boiled soup'. Think he is referring to 老火湯 (lo for tong). 老火湯 is a term used by Cantonese for nutritious soup that takes hours to simmer, steam or using a slow cooker. Some soup can take up to 10 - 12 hours. Usually the soup will contain meat/fish with Chinese herbs.