• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you make dried vanilla dairy creamer?

maxmillan

I want to make my own cocao mix for Christmas gifts. The recipe calls for French Vanilla dairy creamer/milk.

I know you can buy that dried stuff in many grocers but I want to make my own to avoid as much chemical as possible.

Is it as simple as getting vanilla and adding it to powdered milk? Is there such thing as dried vanilla powder?

Is there a better quality milk powder than Carnation?

I'm using Valhrona cocoa powder and hate to cheapen the mix.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes, there is vanilla powder, some very good companies make it. Some natural food stores sell it in bulk, high end supermarkets will also sell it in jars.

I don't know that there are better types of instant milk. But, many people don't put milk in hot chocolate.

You may wish to read one of the exisiting thread on the site about hot chocolate. This one has a lot of creative ideas for high-end, single serve options.

You can purchase vanilla flavored dairy powder locally in grocers or your nearest online grocer. I doubt they are really that high end, using real vanilla.

or

you can be crazy like me and actually dehydrate my own reconstituted dairy powder, adding the vanilla pod in the hot milk then

setting my dehydrator up for 2-3days, and blend back into powder.

but then again I don't know how you are going to use the powder, do you want it as a powder form or a liquid? the method changes.

You can purchase vanilla flavored dairy powder locally in grocers or your nearest online grocer. I doubt they are really that high end, using real vanilla.

or

you can be crazy like me and actually dehydrate my own reconstituted dairy powder, adding the vanilla pod in the hot milk then

setting my dehydrator up for 2-3days, and blend back into powder.

but then again I don't know how you are going to use the powder, do you want it as a powder form or a liquid? the method changes with temperature.

hey there,

i don't think you can use a non-commercial dehydrator unless it can use a spray drying tray in it, but you can try using mesh tray and spray the mixture over it.

i use very little liquid in my mixture, i got my commercial dryer from a second hand dealer and i use tray drying technique.

best method for a coco powder drink is to buy dehydrated vanilla granules and mix it with your dairy powder. I won't use a creamer which contains hydrogenated vegetable oils. check the labels

if you don't have the time, get grounded organic french vanilla and mix it in, i love the brand Tahitian Gold

for other organic stuff -

got my supply from http://www.naturesflavors.com