• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Powdered Food Dye - any chance of finding locally?

bsims

only food dye I've ever seen comes in little dropper bottles. If you can't find the powder, maybe you can dye something powdery (flour, starch, etc) and pulverize it in a spice/coffee grinder once dry? Or put it in a spray bottle to spray on what you're doing? What do you intend to color?

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I'm looking for powdered food dye for use this weekend - not having much luck finding any local sources... Should I assume this is more a specialty item, and give up looking at the big kitchen & craft chains?

I think the company Wilton (cake supplies) used to have a lovely red powdered food dye. It was great for cakes with poinsettas, etc at Xmas time. Then they stopped making it and supplied paste or gel dyes instead. Can you use those?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Try a retail Party stor like Party City...they usually have a Wilton's section

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association