• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3 years away, 3 nights out

ned

It's been more than three years since I've been in my beloved Seattle, more than ten years since I've lived there. No Pho so 1, no Shanghai Garden, no Red Robin, no Beth's, no Lampreia, no Matt's in the Market, no Noshino, not for a long time. Those restaurant names probably sound like relics (and wisecracks) to the egullet hyper-attuned. I'm curious what has evolved in my absence. I just managed to slip into Lark on my last visit. Liked it very much. What else is new in Seattle? Do you have heartthrob butchers with tattoos and master's degrees? Does every restaurant make their own charcuterie? Has Nathan Miervold cloned a Neopolitan Pizzaiolo for his new Hunt's Point pizzeria? I have three nights to hit the best of what is going to look to me like a new Seattle.

Will y'all please help me make a good list?

Thanks.

Edited by ned (log)

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Welcome back. You will likely find that Seattle continues to change for the better, and restaurants are part of it. Your old favorites, Lampreia and Matt's are still earning their stripes. Matt has enlarged his space in the same spot for the better. Other old favorites, Flying Fish and Campagne are as good as they ever were, as is Wild Ginger in its beautiful new location. One good addition to the Market scene is the Steelhead Diner (not a diner).

Some of the better spots now appear in Ballard, of all places. A personal favorite is La Carta de Oaxaca for authentic Mexican. Also, Volterra for upscale Italian, and Bastille for good French bistro. These are all on Ballard Ave.

That's enough for now. Hope you enjoy your stay.

thx

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Awesome. I actually had the pleasure of hosting a cook and a server from Beth's at the restaurant where I work in NYC. Felt that some sort of circle had been completed.

Edited by ned (log)

Gastropubs (Spur, Quinn's) and speakeasies (Tavern Law, Knee High, Bathtub Gin). Cupcakes (CupcakeRoyale, Trophy Cupcakes, Yellow Leaf, Sugar) and freshly made ice cream (Full-Tilt, Molly Moon, Bluebird). Tom Douglas expansion and spin-offs - SpringHill in West Seattle is particularly good. Whole beast cooking and eating. The return of Mistral. Sustainable sushi (Mashiko). The reemergence of the Pike/Pine Corridor. Matt Dillion's Corson Building in Georgetown. Life in Georgetown. Pizza, everywhere.

Edited by tsquare (log)