• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Lingo

SauceRobert

Grass = Asparagus

Chop-Chop = fresh chopped mixed herbs

FNG = F***ing New Guy

Farmers = Unsophisticated Special Occasion Dinners, i.e. "Could you please cook this Scottish Smoked Salmon?"

Pumpkin Pie = Dessert Course

Pie Man or Cookie Man = Pastry Chef

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

• 5 weeks later...

on a rail - make it quick!

toot sweet - a bastardization of the french phrase tout de suite aka make it quick!

make it yesterday - as in we needed this food 10 minutes ago, make it quick!

half job - someone that consistently has to have someone follow behind them to complete the job

Hotel Foxtrot - term of endearment for someone that has been thru it all

Spinning = To lose the thread, looking through all the dockets and aimlessly trying to get something out. This guy is usually called Spinderella afterwards.

Car Tyre = Well done

Rushf*cked or RF'd = When a seemingly slow night suddenly takes a turn for the worst. The waiter usually came in to the kitchen and said "Might aswell take off your pants now boys, you are about to get rushf*cked, seated five tables of 8 at the same time"

The perfect vichyssoise is served hot and made with equal parts of butter to potato.

Rushf*cked or RF'd = When a seemingly slow night suddenly takes a turn for the worst. The waiter usually came in to the kitchen and said "Might aswell take off your pants now boys, you are about to get rushf*cked, seated five tables of 8 at the same time"

HAHA! I will have to add that one to my rep. similar to "Well F Me Runnin", as in you cant stop this from happening even if you are running away.

I love all of the old diner short order lingo. Here is a comprehensive list from wiki

Some of my favorites:

First Lady - spare ribs (a pun on Eve's being made from Adam's spare rib)

Give it wings - To be served quickly "Coney Island, and give it wings!"

Frog sticks - french fries

Edited by Jeffery C (log)

Looking through the list I ran in to:

Eve with a moldy lid: apple pie with a slice of cheese <- ohhhh right... wait, what?

Is this an American thing, or was it an American thing?

edit: Yesterday, today, and forever: hash -Haha, reminds me of brunch.

Edited by Karri (log)

The perfect vichyssoise is served hot and made with equal parts of butter to potato.

Is this an American thing, or was it an American thing?

an American thing for sure back in the hay day of the diner, 1950s & '60s. Now that diners are making a big return, I am sure the lingo will be updated with contemporary monikers. Maybe the likes of Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber, Scarlett Johansson, & Brad Pitt can find their way into the diner culinary lexicon.

Does anyone know the name for the feeling you get when you hear the printer go nakanakanakanakanaka and it doesn't stop for a good 2 minutes? And you end up with these dockets that are the length of your arm?

Does anyone know the name for the feeling you get when you hear the printer go nakanakanakanakanaka and it doesn't stop for a good 2 minutes? And you end up with these dockets that are the length of your arm?

"...weeded..." :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I usually call that a migraine

WRT temps, the same place I worked where they did the "baaa" thing, the temperatures were menos, media menos, media, media muy, and mucho. Staff was mostly Mexican and Guatemalan, natch. I still smile when I think of the media muy--always got a kick out of that one for some reason (and it was a relatively frequent order--that kind of place).

Edited because I remembered what they called "rare"

Edited by thirtyoneknots (log)

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

• 1 month later...

The former. Usually it is when you get a slew of orders, and it is just a clarification/update;

e.g. (I will use bar speak :-) ) if a table orders a 2 manhattans and another table orders 1 manhattan, it would be I need 3 manhattans all day.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Can someone clarify for me the use of the term "all day"? Does it mean "you should have X of these cooking right now" or "we've made X of these since service started five hours ago"?

Thanks for that. A lot recent of "Wait, Huhs?" answered there.