• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ware-washing (dishwasher) racks getting cocoa butter grunge...

Edward J

I've been noticing a film buildup on my dishwashing racks, you know, tose 19" x 19" plastic racks that go into the commercial dishwashers, and I can't seem to get rid of the film.

Operating temperatures, soap and rinse-aid dispensors are all fine.

I run a small cafe/chocolate shop and only run maybe 20 racks total per day through the machine.

I can wipe off the film with a rag, but to get in every tooth and crack an dcrevice of the rack is virtually impossible.

Anyone know of a way to get rid of the film?

I have no idea how this would work in a professional setting, but I just recently de-gunked my home machine. I was getting a lot of spotting on the glassware, and it just looked like it wasn't rinsing well.

I ran 1 cup of baking soda and 1&1/2 cups of vinegar through a light wash cycle, followed by a regular rinse. The results have been amazing. I just dumped the soda into the bottom of the machine, and then got it ready to roll. Right before closing the door and hitting "start", I poured in the vinegar.

It seemed to remove the mineral build-up and the residues as well.

Hope this helps......prolly couldn't hurt.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

ask whoever services your machine about something you can add to the soap (maybe you need to buy a different type and replace the regular soap for one or two runs) or the rinse solution.

I share space and one time, the dish machine soap hadn't come in when expected and we were waiting for someone to arrive with a container and one of the guys thought buying the soap cakes for home dishwashers might work in a pinch - the Ecolab guy arrived just in time to tell them that was not a good idea. So give the service tech a call and see what they say.