• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to store saucisson sec?

Vinotas

OK, this might seem weird, but living in the US, even in NYC, I can NOT get any real French saucisson sec. So when I go to France, I grab as much as I can, have it vacuum-packed, and bring it back. My question therefore is, how should I store it if I want it to last a few weeks (assuming I can keep my hungry little hands off of it)? Right now, I have two that are still vacuum-wrapped from my return last week.

Any hints?

Merci! :cool:

When I make it and have a lot more than I can eat in a short time, I vacuum seal it and keep it in the refrigerator, usually in a large bag that I reseal as I use them to keep the moisture level where I like it. It will stay that way for months.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

Thanks everyone!

I had the butcher vacuum-seal it and brought it into the US without issue. I am trying to make it last as long as I can without either eating it (that's the tough one!) or spoiling it. I was hoping to have some left by Christmas time, but with my apetite that's not looking likely. Heck, I'm opening one tonight... :rolleyes:

More importantly, how come it's not imported into the US? I mean, I can get ALL sorts of Italian sausage, which is fine, but I really really like French saucisson sec. I've had the one D'Artagnan makes in the US and it's fine, but none have that texture or taste that you get some a good saucisson.

Here is the link to that topic on the eGullet Forums

For those of you who might want to try this at home for yourselves, here is the link to the "Revised Compliance Policy" which basically says that you can ship stuff home to yourself. Other documents seem to clearly indicate, however, that if they find it on you personally, instead of on your mail carrier, they will confiscate it.

What the subtle distinction is, I don't know. Also -- you, as an individual, have to mail it to yourself (or another individual), it can't be a business involved at either end at all. But you can't get too personal and actually carry it.

Call me crazy, but I don't get it.

[Edited to fix stupid typos.]

Edited by Lapin d'Argent (log)