• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Out of nougat wafer paper!

Darienne

Help! Help! :sad:

Our area appears to be out of wafer paper for making Montelimar nougat and tomorrow is our candy making date. I thought I had a wad, but can't find it. And now we have run out of time.

Any ideas of what we could use/do instead? (Nothing esoteric please, we won't be able to get it. :raz: )

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Do you have silpats? I have gotten away with using silpats to pour the nougat on in a frame, and dusting with 50/50 cornstarch and confectioners sugar on the outside, nothing else, and this prevents sticking.

Host wafers (communion) also work perfect.

Edited by Marmalade (log)

Jeffrey Stern

www.jeffreygstern.com

http://bit.ly/cKwUL4

http://destination-ecuador.net

cocoapodman at gmail dot com

I'm really low on communion wafers, but have lots of silpats, cornstarch and confectioner's sugar. Thanks. I feel better now. :rolleyes:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

What about pouring it on silplat or the like, and when cold simply brushing on couverture on both sides?

That's an idea I hadn't thought about. We normally dip the chunks in chocolate. Of course with brushing on tempered chocolate, you then have the problem of cutting it all before the chocolate hardens... :hmmm: ...but you bypass the problem of sticking... :hmmm:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Brush it with UN-tempered chocolate. Thinly - just too prevent sticking. It does not develop the snap that tempered chocolate would, so should be easier to cut. This is only an option since you wrote that you would dip them later on anyway, otherwise it would not look as nice...

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

It's too late for Christmas, but it just hit me between the eyes. Edible rice paper. You can buy it at a Chinese grocery store. It could have been used to cover the nougat.

I want to make the Chinese Milk Candy recipe in Anita Chu's (Pastry Girl) Field Guide to Candy and it calls for edible rice paper. Duh!

Problem solved!

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Hi Ilana,

I actually bought some rice paper yesterday. Such a co-incidence. It has not been possible to make anything lately, but I am going to contact my partner and ask her to set our next candy date.

Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.