• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chantal Copper Fusion cookware

Dianabanana

I just took delivery of my new induction range, and now, in my usual back-assward fashion, am shopping for cookware that will work on it. I've read all the old EG threads on induction cookware but there are a lot of new induction-capable lines out now, including this Chantal Copper Fusion. Unfortunately no nearby retailer carries it, so I wonder if any of you have seen it. The three things that particularly appeal to me are the glass lids, the handles, and the weight. The handles look a lot more comfortable than the ones on the All-Clad Stainless Steel (the main contender so far), which kill my hands and wrists. Weight is a big issue for me because I'm a bit arthritic and have a bad back and find cast iron and enameled cast iron too heavy for everyday use.

Has anybody seen this in real life? What do you think?

Weight is a big issue for me because I'm a bit arthritic and have a bad back and find cast iron and enameled cast iron too heavy for everyday use.

Diana,

The 11" frypan weighs 9 pounds. That is about three times as heavy as an All-Clad 12" frypan.

Tim

I've used it in the kitchen where I teach. It performs well: heats up evenly, cleans up pretty well. The handles are comfortable and I like the fact that there are no rivets inside the pan to collect crud.

However, Tim beat me to it about the weight -- it's heavy stuff.

You don't need to find (or pay for) "Induction Compatible" labelling.

When you go shopping for pans, take a fridge magnet with you.

If the magnet will stick to the pan BASE, then that pan will work fine on induction.

And if it won't stick, move on.

Very many stainless pans are fine.

Another occasionally useful trick is to use a cast iron pan, flat griddle (or somesuch) on the induction and place your working pan on top of that. (Using it kinda like a heat/flame diffuser.) The iron doesn't need to be moved often, so its easy on the back and muscles. Because its going to get rather hot, plain cast iron is a pretty good choice for this job.

You lose induction's fast response (and likely energy efficiency too), but its a good trick to remember for the odd occasion you might need it.

PS - copper's thermal conductivity isn't a help with induction. So Copper pans with an induction-happy base are going to look different, but perform very similarly to stainless.

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I just remembered that I recently saw this gadget in a restaurant supply store. It looked sort of like a heat diffuser and you put it on the burner and put your non-induction pot on top of this thing. It converts your pan from non-induction to induction.

Enjoy your stove! I am still green with envy! I too have gas at the moment, a Maytag duel fuel and I rue the day I bought it. Next up is an induction range, although my husbaand keeps reminding me that the current stove is only 8 years old.