• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dry Cured Salumi

dave43

I have recently become obsessed with Charcuterie. It started with a plate at Craftsman in Minneapolis made in house by the chef. I found a little spot in Duluth, Minnesota named Northern Waters Smokehaus making salumi that recently entered their wares in Batali's Salumi contest in Seattle and won top prize. Their salumi is incredible but I would like to branch out to the big boys like Fra'Mani and Salumi. I found a little spot in my hometown in Minneapolis that sells Salumi's selection at $25 a pound. This seems expensive but I have no idea what they charge in Seattle. Is this in line? I am a liitle cash strapped but am looking for suggestions. Anyone know of good Salumi that has reasonable shipping charges and prices?

• 4 weeks later...

In NYC, I pay anywhere from $21 - $24 per pound for Fra'Mani. But by going directly to a place like Salumeria Biellese, the price for some high-quality salumi drops nicely.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

That is a little pricey. Most of the offerings at Salumi in Seattle are under $20 a pound. I've enjoyed many of their products.

Alternately you might want to consider curing your own- Charcuterie by Ruhlman and Polcyn is an excellent introduction to curing your own meat. It has been discussed at some length The original thread, Indexed here

and the currentCooking with Ruhlman & Polcyn's "Charcuterie" 2008-Present thread.

The first batch of bacon you make will ruin you for commodity bacon forever.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--