• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whipped Custard?

imanalienchef

ok, i am in need of some serious help. where i live they used to have a bakery, closed now, that had my favirite doughnuts. they were filled with what they called whipped custard. it was like whipped cream consistency but was custard all the way. i have searched the net and tried a few things i could think of like making custard, cooling it. rewhipping it and folding in whipped cream. That was not it. i mean literally this stuff was just as fluffy as whipped cream, not heavy at all but man oh man d-licious. any clue anyone?

I have never gotten around to making these slices, but it sounds similar to what you're looking for (and also what Kerry has mentioned, though in this recipe it's not referred to as chiboust).

The principle sounds like what you have already tried though... perhaps it's just a matter of finding the right balance of flavour/texture.

Here's the recipe.

ok so guys/girls i did make chiboust with italian meringue to lighten it. this is not what i am looking for. it was density wise the same as custard, sort of. also with the italian meringue it was way to sweet. let me try once more. maybe a better description.

the filling inside these doughnuts, and yes the bakery that made them did them from scratch as was the cream filling from scratch. the filling was just as fluffy and light and airy as cool whip/ or really fluffy whipped cream. But it was yellowish in color and tasted like bavarian cream. It was not thick in any way like custard. hope someone can help me...thanks.

Whipped cream flavored w/ custard powder? Maybe cream, pasteurized yolks, sugar and vanilla that has been whipped? I really don't know, just guessing here.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Whipped cream flavored w/ custard powder? Maybe cream, pasteurized yolks, sugar and vanilla that has been whipped? I really don't know, just guessing here.

Had exactly the same thought - add a couple of tbsp of Bird's or Harry Horne's custard powder to your cream and beat it. Don't know if you might want to cook with some of the cream first to remove any uncooked starch taste?

• 3 weeks later...

it was a basic plain doughnut with chocolate icing on top, but filled with this air custard, and it was at room temperature. hope this helps, and thanks for the custard powder tip. i will try that andget back to all of you to see if it works. if not maybe someone else has an idea please.

it was a basic plain doughnut with chocolate icing on top, but filled with this air custard, and it was at room temperature. hope this helps, and thanks for the custard powder tip. i will try that andget back to all of you to see if it works. if not maybe someone else has an idea please.

Was noticing a bienenstiech recipe online - it suggested either a package of whipping cream stablizier or a few tsp of instant vanilla pudding powder before beating.

• 3 months later...

Charge your pastry cream when it is hot in an iSi Siphon with n2o. That might 'whip' the custard, changing the texture/aeration without adding anything else to it.

i have done this sort of i suggest putting 2 sheets of gelatin into 500mls of creme anglasie ... then putting it in to a isi creamwhipper cool but not set and charge it twice. you should get a custard taste with a light smooth mouth feel.

"None, but people of strong passion are capable of rising to greatness."

I suspect, based on bakery experience, that it was probably an instant custard powder or instant vanilla pudding with plain old milk, and the whole 'whipped' thing came from the fact that they put it on the mixer and let it go until it thickened. I would obtain some Birds Instant Custard (the no cook one) and beat that with milk on the stand mixer. Maybe fold in a little cream at the end for extra fluff

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

To the people that keep plugging modern concepts like siphons (though sort of losing their novelty feel) stop...ha, seriously it is getting redundant now. Its not a bad idea, infact I have done that myself with berliners, but thats not her question. Some mom and pop bakery was not charging up custard base in the siphon and injecting their donuts. Save that for the concept questions.

I am going to throw my hat in the ring along with the others on the pastry cream powder. I have seen many bakers utilize this concept. Also, it may be their ratios that is throwing you. You say it wasn't chibouste because it was too sweet, well maybe they weren't putting sugar in their pastry cream and less sugar in their meringue than you were. Maybe they were using less custard in their diplomat mixture than you, making it lighter. Maybe they were using a non-dairy whipped cream instead of cream. Maybe they were using tortina vegetarian mousse mix. Maybe it was a sabayon base with whipped cream. Could be a lot of things. But, I am going to guess pastry cream powder mix like the others.

Edited by chiantiglace (log)

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea