• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary no-brainers

Shalmanese

I was in the middle of making up a batch of kalbi short ribs today when I started thinking: sometimes, cooking is about skillfully ekeing out deep flavors from humble ingredients and impeccably balancing tastes. But with what I call "culinary no-brainers", it's just about piling on various different forms of deliciousness on top of each other in a largely haphazard way, secure in knowing the end result is going to turn out tasty no matter what.

Kalbi short ribs, with their sweet & salty & fatty & meaty & charred from sugars caramelizing on the grill flavors is a perfect example of this. Of course, Bacon is the ultimate culinary no-brainer with it's salty, fatty crunch and it's pretty easy to improve upon virtually any recipe by adding some bacon into it. But I'm interested in other favourite culinary no-brainers.

Truffles (both kinds) are great culinary no-brainers for me. When I don't have any particular inspiration for dessert, chocolate truffles are an excellent lazy way to impress people. As long as you make sure to get excellent chocolate and make the ganache correctly, you can pretty much just throw any random flavor in there and it will turn out great.

What are all of your favorite culinary no-brainers?

PS: I am a guy.

Anything with enough butter and/or whipped cream and/or chocolate is going to work for me. But you can't assume that something that is a "no-brainer" for you is universal: when it comes to taste, almost nothing is universal. You might think bacon is the ultimate, but personally I find it easy to live without. For me, I'd say cheese: good cheese, and you don't even have to cook. See, I'd make almost the same comment: most things can be improved by adding some cheese. For just about everything, there's a cheese out there that it can go with.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Pizza on the gas grill. In fact, any home made pizza will usually be as good or better than the sum of their parts.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

For me it's pot roast. Sear the meat on each side, come up with a braising liquid and simmer for a long time until it looks like you want to eat it. For my braising liquid I usually use some sort of beef base, but canned tomatoes are among a ton of other things that will work. Once I just wanted to get on with the simmering stage so I opened the cabinet, looked around, and came out with a couple of cans of alphabet soup. It all works. And a bit of heavy cream at the end never hurts.

What about Sabayon? Eggs, sugar, some liquor and heat. Served warm it makes you crazy.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Chicken, and eggs - or should that be Eggs, and chicken? :laugh:

Funny, and profound.

When we think of eggs for breakfast they're accompanied by bacon, sausage, ham, maybe a beef steak, but NEVER chicken. Why's that so in the diner world?

Were you talking about breakfast? Or was I influenced by the words Special K?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Lobster with butter. Now you can disect a restaurant meal with lobster being over cooked or under cooked but pretty much any lobster with butter is Good

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

When we think of eggs for breakfast they're accompanied by bacon, sausage, ham, maybe a beef steak, but NEVER chicken. Why's that so in the diner world?

As a guess, I'd say it has to do with the way eggs are usually cooked in a diner: on a big steel griddle. The stuff sharing space on the griddle is often starchy (potatoes, pancakes) or fatty (sausage, etc.). Chicken isn't enough of either. Note that some relatively fatty fish (salmon, trout) also go well with eggs for breakfast.

Edited by Moopheus (log)

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I'm having a hard time imagining any combination of chicken and eggs that would be appealing to me. Okay, maybe some diced chicken in an egg salad (but with a bunch of other stuff). Maybe some spiced chicken sausage masquerading as pork?

No, wait. Chopped chicken gizzard/heart/offal - properly cooked, could I think, work well in scrambled eggs.

Actually I've seen quite a few diner breakfast menus that have fried chicken and eggs as an option... grits and/or waffles are usually part of the package as well. And fast food places in the south usually have chicken and egg (with or w/o cheese) biscuits on the menu. They were popularly eaten with strawberry jelly added where I lived though I prefered mustard on mine.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.