• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cook's Country

far_gone

I'm outside the US and was just looking at the Cook's Illustrated website and noticed that they have a new title called Cook's Country - what is it? what's the difference between this and Cook's Illustrated? Looks very similar...

Hi,

Cook's Country is aimed at the audience that has given "Taste of Home" magazine the biggest subscription base of all the cooking magazines.

The recipes tend to be basic, simple and easy to prep and cook.

Tim

It doesn't overlap with CI (by design, I assume, to encourage people to subscribe to both). It's... downhome, middle American fare, perfect country-fair fried chicken and big fancy decorated cupcakes rather than coq au vin and creme brulee. Just go here and browse, you'll get the idea.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

One always hopes that CI will give up on roast chicken now and leave it to CC. Not that I don't love roast chicken (made some the weekend following the Bouchon template, Yum!!), but I like it when CI takes the more complex stuff. Now if only they would start a dessert magazine and banish desserts from CI....

gfweb: True that. And when they do tackle something a little bit beyond basic -- boeuf a la mode, say, or pommes Anna -- it tends to be a dumbed-down cook-it-on-a-weeknight version.

Paul: I bet they have data showing that featuring "Even Better Than Best Roast Chicken" and recipes of that ilk on their cover spikes newsstand sales. Like it or not, we home-cooking geeks are way outnumbered by people who can't manage to roast a chicken without drying it out and for whom techniques like brining are a major revelation.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger