• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot sugar syrup in polycarbonate molds

Darienne

Confectionery partner, Barbara, and I own some rather delightful polycarbonate molds, especially the little people mold which Barbara bought from Kerry Beal. I am wondering if I could dare pour boiling hot sugar syrup into these molds to make hard candies. Usually I use the 'hard tack' molds, which are actually quite flimsy although designed for very hot syrup and make lollipops for the children, but I'd like to try making the same candies in these little people molds if possible.

Anyone ever try such a thing? Thoughts on the subject?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'd avoid it, most manufacturers instructions say to avoid high heat, and, to avoid a dishwasher because that's too hot. I also see notices warning users to avoid hot stovetops. Hot sugar is quite a bit hotter than a dishwasher, so, I'd say it's a no-go.

If it worked, you'd think that sellers would advertise them for use in hard candy making, and they don't.

Got it! Got it good. And no, I haven't done it. I did wait. And now I won't ruin Barbara's mold and have to buy her a new one.

Too bad. Such a neat idea.

Thanks. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I had that same idea once... long ago...before I found egullet. Bad idea. Goodbye Mold. And I have yet to find the same mold again, so if anyone knows where I can get a poly King Tut mold (it had been my grandmothers, so it may have been used in the Pharoah's kitchen thats how old it "looked"), please link me!!

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

Interestingly enough, I have used cheap chocolate molds to make hard tack. Poured water into a cookie pan, put the mold into the pan, and froze the two together. Then poured the hot sugar syrup into the frozen mold. Worked fine. Did it only one for the heck of it.

Hmmm....don't recall which cheapo mold it was so I never rechecked it to see if I could use it again. In the beginning I collected a number of those molds at yard sales, etc. I have yet to find a polycarbonate mold at a yard sale. Rats. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Interestingly enough, I have used cheap chocolate molds to make hard tack. Poured water into a cookie pan, put the mold into the pan, and froze the two together. Then poured the hot sugar syrup into the frozen mold. Worked fine. Did it only one for the heck of it.

Hmmm....don't recall which cheapo mold it was so I never rechecked it to see if I could use it again. In the beginning I collected a number of those molds at yard sales, etc. I have yet to find a polycarbonate mold at a yard sale. Rats. :raz:

May need to start frequenting yard sales in Belgium (tongue firmly planted in cheek). :laugh:

Nice trick with the chocolate molds and freezing; however, I still would not be too sanguine about using hot sugar in them because of leaching out bad stuff into your confections.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I had that same idea once... long ago...before I found egullet. Bad idea. Goodbye Mold. And I have yet to find the same mold again, so if anyone knows where I can get a poly King Tut mold (it had been my grandmothers, so it may have been used in the Pharoah's kitchen thats how old it "looked"), please link me!!

I know the mold you are talking about - I haven't seen it recently - but I'll keep an eye out for it.

I know the mold you are talking about - I haven't seen it recently - but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Here he is at JVK in Holland.

Thats it!!! Thanks you sooooo much!! I wonder what else they have...Ive never visited this site..

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

The post Lisa Shock wrote about not putting molds in the d/washer. Uh...Um, well, I do do it, on occasion, and in a high temp commercial d/w as well. Hasn't affected the performance of the mold at all. Then again, I only washed them maybe 4 or 5 times in the last 3 years......

Thats it!!! Thanks you sooooo much!! I wonder what else they have...Ive never visited this site..

Chocolate world lists it too - saw it in their catalogue last night - so you should be able to get it from Tomric or Chocolat-Chocolat - but may be special order.